Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Folding bidadv .. I'm learning the hard way

Well found out my problem of my "wasted bigadv?" thread I made a couple day ago... when the unit finished the server connection failed so it putted the unit in the queue... By that time I stopped VMware because I was testing my 9800 GX2... when everything was ok I restarted VMware and the unit was lost... 60 000 point lost

Yesterday.... I was finding that my gx2 was noisy, so decided to remove the shroud thing to drop temps (so lower temps.. less fan noise). Same thing appened to my bigadv unit (done @ 75%)... when I restarted VMware... the unit was not recognized... so it was deleted

So now I know.... when I want
to restart my core i7 rig... I will wait the unit is finished and sended ....

Last edited by Charloz24; March 13, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old March 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Don't restart the vm machine; but you can select "suspend and exit" and you will save your bigadv.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 13, 2010, 08:13 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Don't restart the vm machine; but you can select "suspend and exit" and you will save your bigadv.
The way I did it was VM --> Power ---> Power off .. is that a good way or not? I am better with VM--> Power ---> suspend ? because there is no more suspend and exit funciton on my VMware
Old March 13, 2010, 08:30 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
The way I did it was VM --> Power ---> Power off .. is that a good way or not? I am better with VM--> Power ---> suspend ? because there is no more suspend and exit funciton on my VMware
If you do power off, it's basically like unplugging a computer. You will lose whatever you are doing in the VM at the time. You have to use suspend if you want to keep the work.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Which VM are you using? With linuxrouter's you run "shutdown -h now", and it automatically backs up your work before powering down the VM, and reloads it on start. I do this everyday to game, haven't lost a WU that way in weeks. Lost a couple to my own stupidity, though.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:56 AM
MVP
F@H

Well with 120 000 points lost (and wasted research of course) I'm sure that I will remember what to do the next time ... thanks all!
Old March 13, 2010, 10:25 AM
MVP
F@H

I should have read this thread before : what is proper way? - Overclockers Forums

Next time before turning off the VMware console I will made a backup of the work folder simple and easy and nothing lost.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Sorry, it should be like a normal work unit, your overclock has problems!! I can restart the computer from hitting the reset button and not lose the work unit, close vmware anyway I want to and not lose data. A good test for this is dropping your overclock to say 3.8 and see if the problem is still there. If it is gone, them either your hard drive does not like the higher overclock, or your power supply is not giving the hard drive enough power for good reads and writes.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

A bad OC can certainly spoil a bigadv, but in this case the WU is lost upon restarting the vm, and I have done the exact same thing and lost a bigadv vm unit. So I would have to disagree, and i still believe he just needs to suspend the vm like I do, or use the shutdown command at the vm command prompt as mentioned also.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 13, 2010, 12:39 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitter3 View Post
Sorry, it should be like a normal work unit, your overclock has problems!! I can restart the computer from hitting the reset button and not lose the work unit, close vmware anyway I want to and not lose data.
You have been lucky then. I have lost quite a few bigadv WU's just from just my Nvidia drivers causing a nvlddmkm.sys BSOD.