Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Some questions about F@H (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/2922-some-questions-about-f-h.html)

qwerty October 16, 2007 10:51 AM

Some questions about F@H

In a couple of weeks my new rig will be ready at which time I would like to run this machine full time to F@H...now for the questions.

1. I would like to unplug the monitor and just leave it in a corner someplace folding away forever. Is this possible?

2. The machine in question is a P3 733 512 megs ram, etc, pretty old. But can it still fold?
I would install and configure Linux on it if it would help to speed it up some.

Hrm that's about it. If anyone could help me with this I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

enaberif October 16, 2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 22693)
In a couple of weeks my new rig will be ready at which time I would like to run this machine full time to F@H...now for the questions.

1. I would like to unplug the monitor and just leave it in a corner someplace folding away forever. Is this possible?

2. The machine in question is a P3 733 512 megs ram, etc, pretty old. But can it still fold?
I would install and configure Linux on it if it would help to speed it up some.

Hrm that's about it. If anyone could help me with this I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Yes and Yes.

If you run Windows you can setup a RDP to access it after you remove the monitor. If you run linux you can setup SSH to access the box as well.

While you may want to use a higher speed processor, any system can fold it may just take a bit longer.

qwerty October 16, 2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 22695)
Yes and Yes.

If you run Windows you can setup a RDP to access it after you remove the monitor. If you run linux you can setup SSH to access the box as well.

While you may want to use a higher speed processor, any system can fold it may just take a bit longer.

Ok good.

That's fine. I don't plan on checking my progress all that much. I just want to do my bit for a good cause. It'll just be sitting there folding....doing nothing else at all.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

enaberif October 16, 2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 22707)
Ok good.

That's fine. I don't plan on checking my progress all that much. I just want to do my bit for a good cause. It'll just be sitting there folding....doing nothing else at all.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

You can also get a program called Fahmon which can show you the progress too.

pscout October 16, 2007 06:45 PM

That box will not produce very much but every bit helps. As we move into the colder season the power cost will be offset some by its heating.

For monitoring, as enaberif said, fahmon should be sufficient. You just need a share set up to its folding directory from you main rig, and run fahmon on your main rig. If it isn't folding then just plug a monitor in to see whats wrong. VNC is another free remote desktop tool. Remote desktop software won't help if the machine hangs.

I don't think linux would help production (might even be worse depending on the work units the rigs is assigned) but is a good choice if it saves the cost of a windows license.

Keep an eye on it with fahmon to make sure it will meet the deadlines ... it should but if it doesn't then there is no point in folding on it ... it will be wasting energy and slow down the science.