Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,026
Default

I know guys that it was the weekend and everything else but geez the server was down for how many hrs before they noticed ? I mean for something as important as this, and I don't mean the pts, you'd think an alarm or some sort of red flag would pop up when a server goes down. I'm not a huge Folder like some of you but it's still dissappointing to me that when they have a "server problem" it usually takes them too much time to notice and say "we're on it" and get it back up.

Maybe it's just me...
__________________
"What is the colour when black is burnt ?" - Neil Young
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

lost? tahts bad. screw the points, crap knows what important data was wasted
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 02:28 PM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

meh, it is all random simulation, they can just pump another couple of hundreds WU out there, and the data will still be just like it would have been. Data lost not that big of a deal for them.

The real deal is they dont want to get the people frustrated and then leaving the distributed computing world.­

on another note, I got my 1st 3 GPU WU in almost 24 hours !
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 02:40 PM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,140

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
I know guys that it was the weekend and everything else but geez the server was down for how many hrs before they noticed ? I mean for something as important as this, and I don't mean the pts, you'd think an alarm or some sort of red flag would pop up when a server goes down. I'm not a huge Folder like some of you but it's still dissappointing to me that when they have a "server problem" it usually takes them too much time to notice and say "we're on it" and get it back up.

Maybe it's just me...
I understand your frustration, but does 24 hours of GPU folding being missed really affect when their next paper gets published? Keep in mind all we are doing is the grunt work, so the PhD's have something to back up their theories.

Most of the servers are on campus, in locked buildings, during a holiday weekend. I'm surprised someone got in to restart the downed server TBH. I don't even check my work email on weekends.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 03:15 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,410

My System Specs

Default

I understand the holiday and weekend thing, but there needs to be extra care taken here due to the nature of the project. You have many, many people donating time / resources (ie. electricity), and this type of responsibility should not be subject to regular business hours.
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
meh, it is all random simulation, they can just pump another couple of hundreds WU out there, and the data will still be just like it would have been. Data lost not that big of a deal for them.
Don't be ridiculous. Every work unit folded is important to the project, and every lost unit represents wasted time and computer resources. A simulation-based project like F@H is heavily dependent on collecting as much data as possible, and every time something like this happens, it's a pretty big setback.
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Guess I'm gonna have to fix Comp # 2 , And #3.


ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Every work unit folded is important to the project, and every lost unit represents wasted time and computer resources. A simulation-based project like F@H is heavily dependent on collecting as much data as possible, and every time something like this happens, it's a pretty big setback.
If the down time was this costly, they woud have a technician on 24-7, it is obviously not the case....
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
If the down time was this costly, they woud have a technician on 24-7, it is obviously not the case....
F@H is a project run by a professor and a bunch of his students and research associates. It's not a corporation with a bunch of hired technicians.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old February 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

To my point, if the science value of missed time was this costly, the university would invest in it. They do have money. Anyway, I fold, you fold, all for the good cause.
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
L4D Servers... SiDiX007 Gaming 7 January 23, 2009 09:16 PM
HWC Left4Dead Servers! death_hawk Gaming 21 January 17, 2009 01:41 PM
COD4 Servers Jon_di2 Gaming 7 November 11, 2008 06:50 AM
GPU Scaling, How does it work? bushwickbill Display Units 0 April 26, 2008 09:41 AM
wow private servers... omgwtf Gaming 10 August 14, 2007 06:36 AM