Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2010, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I know guys that it was the weekend and everything else but geez the server was down for how many hrs before they noticed ? I mean for something as important as this, and I don't mean the pts, you'd think an alarm or some sort of red flag would pop up when a server goes down. I'm not a huge Folder like some of you but it's still dissappointing to me that when they have a "server problem" it usually takes them too much time to notice and say "we're on it" and get it back up.

Maybe it's just me...
Old February 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Banned
F@H

lost? tahts bad. screw the points, crap knows what important data was wasted
Old February 15, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

meh, it is all random simulation, they can just pump another couple of hundreds WU out there, and the data will still be just like it would have been. Data lost not that big of a deal for them.

The real deal is they dont want to get the people frustrated and then leaving the distributed computing world.­

on another note, I got my 1st 3 GPU WU in almost 24 hours !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 15, 2010, 02:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
I know guys that it was the weekend and everything else but geez the server was down for how many hrs before they noticed ? I mean for something as important as this, and I don't mean the pts, you'd think an alarm or some sort of red flag would pop up when a server goes down. I'm not a huge Folder like some of you but it's still dissappointing to me that when they have a "server problem" it usually takes them too much time to notice and say "we're on it" and get it back up.

Maybe it's just me...
I understand your frustration, but does 24 hours of GPU folding being missed really affect when their next paper gets published? Keep in mind all we are doing is the grunt work, so the PhD's have something to back up their theories.

Most of the servers are on campus, in locked buildings, during a holiday weekend. I'm surprised someone got in to restart the downed server TBH. I don't even check my work email on weekends.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I understand the holiday and weekend thing, but there needs to be extra care taken here due to the nature of the project. You have many, many people donating time / resources (ie. electricity), and this type of responsibility should not be subject to regular business hours.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
meh, it is all random simulation, they can just pump another couple of hundreds WU out there, and the data will still be just like it would have been. Data lost not that big of a deal for them.
Don't be ridiculous. Every work unit folded is important to the project, and every lost unit represents wasted time and computer resources. A simulation-based project like F@H is heavily dependent on collecting as much data as possible, and every time something like this happens, it's a pretty big setback.
Old February 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Guess I'm gonna have to fix Comp # 2 , And #3.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Don't be ridiculous. Every work unit folded is important to the project, and every lost unit represents wasted time and computer resources. A simulation-based project like F@H is heavily dependent on collecting as much data as possible, and every time something like this happens, it's a pretty big setback.
If the down time was this costly, they woud have a technician on 24-7, it is obviously not the case....

Sold hardware again.....
Old February 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
If the down time was this costly, they woud have a technician on 24-7, it is obviously not the case....
F@H is a project run by a professor and a bunch of his students and research associates. It's not a corporation with a bunch of hired technicians.
Old February 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

To my point, if the science value of missed time was this costly, the university would invest in it. They do have money. Anyway, I fold, you fold, all for the good cause.

Sold hardware again.....