Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Gpu folding has finally pi$$ed me off! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/28866-gpu-folding-has-finally-pi-ed-me-off.html)

stoanee February 13, 2010 02:39 PM

Gpu folding has finally pi$$ed me off!

My AMD rig was folding fine then....pooft, it downclocked both of my GTX 260's and stayed that way. After days of fiddling I installed a fresh copy of XP, did all the updates and started over.
-install 185.85 drivers (tried the newest one before reformat, no help)
-extended desktop
-disable all power saving features for hard drive, monitor, disable screen savers
-load Rivatuner, enable "force 3d performance", no overclock. Reboot multiple times to ensure I am not stuck in 2D.

No help, stuck @ +-2600 ppd on a P5799 & P3469 respectively.

Overclocked the cpu to 3080mhz and gpu's to 1400 on the shaders with no change. I can see the gpu's are not heating up so I assume I am stuck in 2D. I have one 2gb stick of ram in the machine, that should not affect anything should it? I really do not know what to do next, my I7 machine chugs along beautifully and Rivatuner keeps everything locked in to 3D mode.

I thought that gpu folding would be a nice stable platform for some consistent, trouble free ppd but it is not working out that way...:blarg:

phil3_66666 February 13, 2010 02:44 PM

i only have 1x2gb in my folding rig and i don't get any problem

im using win 7 basic and i dont need any program to set it in 3d mode, just start the folding client and it do the switch

hope that help

stoanee February 13, 2010 02:51 PM

I tried loading only what I needed, as in no Rivatuner, one card folding at stock, then started tweaking as I went along. I tested everything every time I made a change to see if it helped, but nothing seems to work.

I may have to scrap this setup, I can get better results on much cheaper equipment....:blarg:

chrisk February 13, 2010 02:56 PM

My PPD is low on those projects too, but I agree that you are in 2D mode.

The typical things such as reboot, reinstall drivers/clean old ones, etc. you have tried.

One thing to triple-check is to put the computer into 'performance Mode' under power savings if there is an option for xp. Might be some power option missed.

Otherwise, put them in another rig to see if it happens there too. Could be (unlikely) that both are broken, so another rig might determine that.

stoanee February 13, 2010 03:00 PM

If my fiddling does not help I will pull one GTX and put it into my Q6600 machine to see how it fares,after that......?

stoanee February 13, 2010 03:21 PM

OK, riddle me this. On a hunch I am testing my OC on the aforementioned AMD machine with Prime 95. I am running this while I gpu fold. Both of my cards jumped from 2500 ppd tp 6500 ppd!! Somewhere, hidden perhaps in bios, is a power saving feature that I so far have not found. I guess I will have to burn down the processor to keep folding....:whistle:

Arinoth February 13, 2010 03:41 PM

Why are you using such older drivers?

I typically use the last certified CUDA drivers and they seem to work

stoanee February 13, 2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 333372)
Why are you using such older drivers?

I typically use the last certified CUDA drivers and they seem to work

At the time there were issues with the newer drivers so I just stuck with them. I tried the newest before I reformatted and they made no difference.

_dangtx_ February 13, 2010 05:24 PM

hold on a sec. aret he cards frequencies clocking down all the time to 2d mode? usually when this happens, vs doing a full reformat..i sometiems go for a little bios mod. as long as you save the old bios, youre fine :)

LarkStarr February 13, 2010 06:47 PM

random thought: make sure your drivers arent crashing. they'll default to 2d mode to protect the video card after a crash.