Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
2 of my machines have been acting up last couple days, when I get home from work, both machines have rebooted at some point during the day. Not sure what the problem is yet but they seem to work fine when I'm home... I've had machines "hang" on some WU's, rebooting usually resolves this. Can bad WU's cause a reboot? Both machines have been running flawlessly for about three weeks.
How are your Windows Updates configured? MS sent out some critical updates this week, and if your settings were set to automatic, then this may have been the cause.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 11, 2010, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
How are your Windows Updates configured? MS sent out some critical updates this week, and if your settings were set to automatic, then this may have been the cause.
That very well could be the problem, both machines were set on automatic. A third machine I have was also on automatic but it seems to be O.K. so far, it's running a different chipset than the other two so may have been unaffected by the updates. I just manually installed the set of updates on another machine... it seems O.K. too... so far anyway.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am having a devil of a time getting my GTX 260's up to par in my AMD rig. I have tried different drivers, used Precision, RivaTuner, forced 3d settings, uninstalled the cards, reinstalled with different drivers, set all power settings to "full on" disabled screen saver, yad, yada. They were at one time working perfectly and for some reason they downclocked and I cannot get them back up. I am ready to start from scratch with a fresh install of XP. Any recommendations?....
Old February 11, 2010, 09:19 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I am having a devil of a time getting my GTX 260's up to par in my AMD rig. I have tried different drivers, used Precision, RivaTuner, forced 3d settings, uninstalled the cards, reinstalled with different drivers, set all power settings to "full on" disabled screen saver, yad, yada. They were at one time working perfectly and for some reason they downclocked and I cannot get them back up. I am ready to start from scratch with a fresh install of XP. Any recommendations?....
save bios, mod bios, flash bios. keep a pci card or so handy. altough if you have dual pci-e the chances youll fox up both are quite dismal. had a big headache in w7, xp all the way on next build. no screwy put the vga cable on and re-extend desktop like in winder 7 :p. set it and forget it.
Old February 12, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am currently running that rig with XP. For some reason, which I have not yet discovered, it downclocked the cards. My Windows 7 rig is running like a champ.
Old February 12, 2010, 06:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I am currently running that rig with XP. For some reason, which I have not yet discovered, it downclocked the cards. My Windows 7 rig is running like a champ.

Turn off your Screen Saver, and put power management to never turn off your HDD , Monitor etc etc.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 12, 2010, 06:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Are the cards overclocked? What you're describing is what happens when the video drivers crash and then start up again. The cards are locked at their low-power 3D speeds until you reboot. This is usually caused by an unstable overclock.
Old February 12, 2010, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All screensavers disabled, power to "always on" on everything, tried folding at stock speeds. My output has been cut in half. I am system restoring back to happier days, next stop.....reformat!!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:40 PM

My System Specs

Finally back in the race w/ one of my machines.

Too bad this eVGA Classified is a POS. Can't run worth a damn w/ 6 stick of ram. Having a hard time keeping it stable. And the bios sucks. Hopefully it does better on water.
Old February 13, 2010, 06:24 AM
MVP
F@H

You started worrying me Lowfat.. I have a Classified on the mail and for 400$ I surely don't want a POS.