Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 07:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Default Change of GPU I relly need you help,

Even if this can fit in the GPU section, I feel more comfortable to put it here

Ok I want to use my PC that have already 2 x 260 gtx on it for an other purpose. And the MSI GT I have are quite a dam good card for folding, but my case is a skeleton ( case ) and I can profit of the top cooler fan to use my ATI 4890 with a thermalright noise less , the PC is in my room where I study, can't endure a noise.

Ok here the real question related to folding .. on my gaming rig I use a HD4890, I have a 22" but we all know the petty PPD the HD4890 give. So I look for a Nvidia replacement for it .. I have a Maximus formula III in the case, with possibility of a single gpu at 16x or 2 Sli 8x and a third slot for a dedicated physx . I don't want to put the 260 in the case for the reason, I pay extra for their good cooling, and since I will put a water block on the new GPU..it will be a shame to trash the MSI cooler of those card.
So what card or what combination of card you will suggest for good folding and good gaming on a 22", the priority is on the folding ( it's why I post here, or else I will have some, that will suggest me a 5970 )
please keep in view that I will need 2 water blocks if I use sli.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:50 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

GTX285.

Great folder, and a great card for a 22" monitor. Also the FC blocks are available for that card.

edit: if you really want SLI, a basic GTX260 would do to (two of them), and if you wish to expand eventually the GTX275 would be a nice choice too. Don't know about them FC blocks though.
Old February 7, 2010, 07:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Even if this can fit in the GPU section, I feel more comfortable to put it here

Ok I want to use my PC that have already 2 x 260 gtx on it for an other purpose. And the MSI GT I have are quite a dam good card for folding, but my case is a skeleton ( case ) and I can profit of the top cooler fan to use my ATI 4890 with a thermalright noise less , the PC is in my room where I study, can't endure a noise.

Ok here the real question related to folding .. on my gaming rig I use a HD4890, I have a 22" but we all know the petty PPD the HD4890 give. So I look for a Nvidia replacement for it .. I have a Maximus formula III in the case, with possibility of a single gpu at 16x or 2 Sli 8x and a third slot for a dedicated physx . I don't want to put the 260 in the case for the reason, I pay extra for their good cooling, and since I will put a water block on the new GPU..it will be a shame to trash the MSI cooler of those card.
So what card or what combination of card you will suggest for good folding and good gaming on a 22", the priority is on the folding ( it's why I post here, or else I will have some, that will suggest me a 5970 )
please keep in view that I will need 2 water blocks if I use sli.
if you can afford it go for the 295GTX... those things are sweet and some come with a water block

although this is pretty sexy.. with another 275GTX it would be better:
Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1178-TR GeForce GTX 275 CO-OP PhysX Edition 1280MB 448+192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Old February 7, 2010, 08:02 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The GTX295 would be the best card as far as power goes, but if you want the best balance for gaming on a 22" monitor, it would be way overkill. A GTX260 or GTX275 would be more than enough to run any game on a 22" monitor at maximum settings while still producing a lot of points. A GTX285 would be better, but I don't think it's worth the cost unless you can find a really good deal on one.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:18 AM
Banned
F@H

We are looking in the good direction...2 of you suggest me a card that I have an heart on it.... the 275. when I buy my 4890 at the time, it was the fact that my Board at the time was not supporting SLI that I choose the 4890 over the 275

Of of course what even I go , I will choose a Waterblock before to avoid the non generic design card problem associate with block. I guess Daz will be a good guy to ask for at that time.

Kendall, I miss a pretty good deal here before Xmas at below $ 400 on quite few 295 with already water block... It will only make me pain to buy an expensive one and I have miss those deal.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
F@H

if you can find a 295 for 300 ok, more than that? dont go for it.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
We are looking in the good direction...2 of you suggest me a card that I have an heart on it.... the 275. when I buy my 4890 at the time, it was the fact that my Board at the time was not supporting SLI that I choose the 4890 over the 275
The 4890 is actually better than the GTX275 in most cases, so for a gaming card, it's a better choice. The GTX275 folds much better though.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:40 AM
Banned
F@H

No GTX 275 at Newegg and NCIX aside of the co-op, I will look at other place, but what the hell happen. if Nvidia don't bring new GPU asap, they better to close the shop. unbelievable even if I know that manufacturers don't want stock pill of them. Start to be very frustrating to buy a GPU on those day. And the $ 400-500 price tag of the ATI 5870 make me hate this company for the first time since they exist. Thanks to try to abuse of your loyal customers ATI ,

sorry for the rants, but I think I'm not off the track too much
Old February 7, 2010, 08:44 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
And the $ 400-500 price tag of the ATI 5870 make me hate this company for the first time since they exist. Thanks to try to abuse of your loyal customers ATI ,
Blame the retailers, not ATI. The MSRP for the 5870 is $379 USD.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:51 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The 4890 is actually better than the GTX275 in most cases, so for a gaming card, it's a better choice. The GTX275 folds much better though.

I know it was just that at the time I want to give a try to other thing than ATI, experiment with SLI , I always buy ATI, since Matrox do not sell card that I need ( I really miss Matrox, especially when we know where they are ) when they was playing with only ATI as competitor , the game was fair, but when Nvidia get in the game, the competition was already lost. At the end we gain more power , but some place we lost something too ( wtf ...I'm not craping my own tread )
we should have section for the one who like to remember the past, or at least a good tread , and keep it out of other thing