Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2010, 06:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Bigadv a1

My bigadv just finish 30min ago and everything i got is a1 unit(dont even load the cpu a 30%...)

i just check the fah forum and im not the only one who can't get a2..

any other hwc member get this problem to?
Old February 6, 2010, 07:27 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

this morning. Deleted the Work folder and queue file, restarted the client. Got a big WU the 1st time.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

PLEASE do not delete your queue.dat file to get a different unit if you receive an A1 workunit. It's bad for Stanford, and it's bad for the rest of us, since someone will still have to fold the unit. The more A1 units you finish, the faster we can get to a point where there aren't any left and it's all just SMP2. You may not like the points value or the PPD, but in the end, we're doing this for the science, not the points.

Anyway, there have been more A1 units going around lately. There has been a massive shift toward A3 and -bigadv recently, and Stanford simply didn't have enough units to go around. Therefore, some people are being sent whatever units are left over, which means that you'll get A1 or normal A2 units instead. Just deal with whatever you get, fold it, and eventually you'll get something that produces more PPD. But don't delete it, because that's just bad for everyone.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:53 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I agree and disagree. Indeed, we fold WUs. Points are a bonus. But.

There are far many more rigs out there better suited to fold A1 and A2 WUs, than there are rigs capable of folding bigagv WUs. I'd rather fold the bigadv WUs since my CPUs are capable of doing so.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
PLEASE do not delete your queue.dat file to get a different unit if you receive an A1 workunit. It's bad for Stanford, and it's bad for the rest of us, since someone will still have to fold the unit. The more A1 units you finish, the faster we can get to a point where there aren't any left and it's all just SMP2. You may not like the points value or the PPD, but in the end, we're doing this for the science, not the points.

Anyway, there have been more A1 units going around lately. There has been a massive shift toward A3 and -bigadv recently, and Stanford simply didn't have enough units to go around. Therefore, some people are being sent whatever units are left over, which means that you'll get A1 or normal A2 units instead. Just deal with whatever you get, fold it, and eventually you'll get something that produces more PPD. But don't delete it, because that's just bad for everyone.

Sometimes you have to if the WU's are corrupted too Zero at least for GPU's too. BUt I'm not like a lot of people you think who cooks off the Work / Queue to make way for 353's.

My Gear Folds everything until I get a corrupt one, then there is nothing I can do.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2010, 08:19 PM
Banned
F@H

I think with all the WU, 3.0 and Phil have give to Standford, they can skip one. Just take a minute to look at how many WU , HWC give everyday, the Price tag of the equipment too, 3.0 , ST, Phil to name only few have dedicated Folding PC. And don't worry for the small work.. I have 3 PC here doing only that, day and night
Old February 6, 2010, 08:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

like mark say, i have too other cpu how can do a1 or regular a2...

but maybe someone can say was i need to delete to kill the wu(using linux 0.6)

since reconfiguring is long...
Old February 6, 2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I agree and disagree. Indeed, we fold WUs. Points are a bonus. But.

There are far many more rigs out there better suited to fold A1 and A2 WUs, than there are rigs capable of folding bigagv WUs. I'd rather fold the bigadv WUs since my CPUs are capable of doing so.
If you don't get a -bigadv unit, it's generally because Stanford doesn't have one to give you at the time. So just fold what you get, and by the time you're done they'll probably have something for you. It's true that different machines are better-suited for different units, but there's no harm in folding an A1 unit once in a while, other than seeing a bit of a drop in your points output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Sometimes you have to if the WU's are corrupted too Zero at least for GPU's too. BUt I'm not like a lot of people you think who cooks off the Work / Queue to make way for 353's.

My Gear Folds everything until I get a corrupt one, then there is nothing I can do.

ST
Oh, that's absolutely a different story. If you get a corrupt unit, it's definitely better to delete the queue and get a good unit rather than leaving the client to EUE constantly. I'm just talking about getting rid of a perfectly good unit just to get one that folds better on your machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I think with all the WU, 3.0 and Phil have give to Standford, they can skip one. Just take a minute to look at how many WU , HWC give everyday, the Price tag of the equipment too, 3.0 , ST, Phil to name only few have dedicated Folding PC. And don't worry for the small work.. I have 3 PC here doing only that, day and night
Mark, the HWC folding team certainly does give a lot of resources to the project, but don't think that there aren't plenty of other teams or plenty of other people who have devoted just as much if not more. And if everybody has that attitude and refuses to fold the workunits that produce less points, then who is going to be left to fold them in the end? Believe me, I like to see a big points score as much as the next guy, but I've been doing this for a long time, and it's about a lot more than the points to me.

Last edited by Zero82z; February 6, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:06 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
....... And if everybody has that attitude and refuses to fold the workunits that produce less points,.....
Zero I think it's time you take a good walk outside like I did yesterday... don't get me wrong here. I say it as I will say it to my son , or a friend

No one in the this tread tonight have this attitude.. I will have not spent all the money I spent last month If I have a single dough on it