Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2010, 10:28 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
are you sure of it. usually manufacturer show also a board revision for some CPU compatibility.. all true I never play with fire and try a CPU not listed in the list. we will see.
As long as the motherboard manufacturer followed Intel's specification when designing the motherboard, it will work with Gulftown CPUs. Intel specifically stated that all LGA1366 motherboards will be compatible with Gulftown CPUs.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
are you sure of it. usually manufacturer show also a board revision for some CPU compatibility.. all true I never play with fire and try a CPU not listed in the list. we will see.

Note : for the new member it's more complicate, I do it for correct my name for Marked One ( stalker ) so MarkedOne , I have first the intention to ask to delete MarkOne . My other intention was to reset my post at 0 at the same time. it's seams that I was thinking they was PPD

But finally they will change markone for MarkedOne and erase the new one.. to also comply with the rules 1 account only.

So the Old man will still laugh at it. so Mark Done for real

What???????????
Fold for team #54196
Old February 5, 2010, 11:41 PM
Banned
F@H

lets hope youre right

mark you suck man we too kages to get used to your nickname now you want us to start afresh? hell no! :D
Old February 6, 2010, 06:30 AM
Banned
F@H

ok back on the topic .. what was the topic...... ya folding.. I buy a 860 instead of a 920 at the time.. I'm folding bigadv with it now.. but my other bigadv that I'm building now is a 920.. the 920 have more affinity with folding than a 860... more easy to OC and no worry if 6 gb work fine on them.

until I see some 860 running on 3 sticks of ram, for me a 860 need 8 gb for bigadv, all true that I don't see why it can't run on 3 sticks , anyway I can't recommend something I don't know
Old February 6, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:

Note : for the new member it's more complicate, I do it for correct my name for Marked One ( stalker ) so MarkedOne , I have first the intention to ask to delete MarkOne . My other intention was to reset my post at 0 at the same time. it's seams that I was thinking they was PPD

But finally they will change markone for MarkedOne and erase the new one.. to also comply with the rules 1 account only.

So the Old man will still laugh at it. so Mark Done for real
Safe to say that was a little off topic.

On topic, one advantage 860 has over 920 is that it runs cooler which I guess might help in OCing.
Old February 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
ok back on the topic .. what was the topic...... ya folding.. I buy a 860 instead of a 920 at the time.. I'm folding bigadv with it now.. but my other bigadv that I'm building now is a 920.. the 920 have more affinity with folding than a 860... more easy to OC and no worry if 6 gb work fine on them.

until I see some 860 running on 3 sticks of ram, for me a 860 need 8 gb for bigadv, all true that I don't see why it can't run on 3 sticks , anyway I can't recommend something I don't know
my setup can run with 3 stick,

i7 860
msi p55-dg65
g.skill trident 1600

i try it before puting it under water since my heatsinks was blocking one memory slot
Old February 6, 2010, 08:49 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3_66666 View Post
my setup can run with 3 stick,......
i7 860
msi p55-dg65
g.skill trident 1600
i try it before puting it under water since my heatsinks was blocking one memory slot
Phil I don't talk to you anymore.. you make me spent on 8 gb for nothing , You know the money spent on unnecessary stuff make me not buy more PPD

very good know ...very good... but let be honest, aside of lowering folding cost it's not the best practice... we loose the dual channel

( but did we care of it in our case Phil )

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
On topic, one advantage 860 has over 920 is that it runs cooler which I guess might help in OCing.
It's what I was thing before. but the memory controller of the 860 is different, and it make it a less good OCer than the 920.. at least for a dummy of Ocing like me .... the 920 came with a price in heat.. my 860 run on air... will not put my 920 on air for fold.. and it's my personal thinking too , I'm really don't like run CPU hot. I stay away from the upper range limit of the spec . chicken may be .
Old February 6, 2010, 09:17 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
When overclocked, the 860 generally doesn't run cooler than a 920 at the same speed.
Old February 6, 2010, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

Ok well thanks for all your comments, it help me a lot... so that will be i7 920 route... Now motherboard question!! THe ASROCK X58 is really cheaper than other motherboard, would I regret it?
Old February 6, 2010, 09:51 AM
Banned
F@H

3.0 recommend me this foxconn in a similar tread question.. look to me like something solid to for a Folding Rigs. if don't need gizmo an a quality board that can OC this can be a good value , will have take it too if I was not so much after Asus gizmo
Newegg.ca - Foxconn FlamingBlade GTI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards