Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 03:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Quick Operating System Question

Hey guys,

Quick question about Operating Systems for folding. Would I be able to run 32 bit WinXP Pro/Home with the Notfred (or whatever the other one is) VM and utilize all 8 cores of an i7?
I'm sure windows reporting on the CPU temp would only be the first processor (#0) - just wondering if I can run a base 32 bit OS (since I have a few legit copies lying around)

That, and I want to put 3x EVGA 260s in it. I'm guessing WinXP would handle that ok?

Thanks.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 4, 2010, 03:37 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
Hey guys,

Quick question about Operating Systems for folding. Would I be able to run 32 bit WinXP Pro/Home with the Notfred (or whatever the other one is) VM and utilize all 8 cores of an i7?
I'm sure windows reporting on the CPU temp would only be the first processor (#0) - just wondering if I can run a base 32 bit OS (since I have a few legit copies lying around)

That, and I want to put 3x EVGA 260s in it. I'm guessing WinXP would handle that ok?

Thanks.
quick answer. you need 6 gb of memory... the 32 bits will not run it.

your 3 x 260 will give you 24k ppd , if you use smp2 a3 you gone get something like 10k more with a 920 ..but on smp 4 not 8 ( memory limitation ) Martin Metal report he can use a usb stick of 4 gb to add more memory, don't know if it work with XP , and we have not yet see his results
Old February 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

facepalm. right.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.