Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2010, 08:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default ATI + nvdia folding?

Hello all

I picked up a PNY 9800GTX+ yesterday for physx and figured when it wasnt in use for that I could use it for folding. So I went ahead installed the F@H gpu client, but it wont let me run it because it says my current gpu or driver isnt supported and the program promply halts.

Is there a different version of F@H that I could download and configure to use my 9800GTX and to look for it instead of jumping to my primary GPU. Also was hoping to not have to set up a VM to get this work.

To clarify my problem this is what happens when i start the client

So would I have to run a switch on the .exe to look for the nvidia gpu instead?

Last edited by Fudd Rucker; February 4, 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:56 AM
Banned
F@H

i think one may use the -g80 thing?
Old February 4, 2010, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Hello all

I picked up a PNY 9800GTX+ yesterday for physx and figured when it wasnt in use for that I could use it for folding. So I went ahead installed the F@H gpu client, but it wont let me run it because it says my current gpu or driver isnt supported and the program promply halts.

Is there a different version of F@H that I could download and configure to use my 9800GTX and to look for it instead of jumping to my primary GPU. Also was hoping to not have to set up a VM to get this work.
If you want it to work you have to do yourself a dummy plug
Imageshack - dsc0001xj2.jpg - Uploaded by jgoldrb48

3.0Charlie have done many and you can find how to do it on the internet. With that it is supose to work. BUT, you will have to start 2 client ( 1 per card ) when the 9800GTX is started you can close the ATI one so only the Nvidia will be folding.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 4, 2010, 09:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The dummy plug has been taken care of via hacked driver to get my physx to work. What I want is for it to ignore my 5870 entirely and go straight for the 9800 GTX
Old February 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Usually you have to specify the gpu core switch like dangtx suggested when folding on multiple cards

Old February 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
Banned
F@H

Martin you just need the plug if you want configure without an other monitor atach to it. when you set and the desktop extend you can run without anythng... I am right ?

If I remember well 3.0 was using 4 dual GPU ,,, so 8 monitors to attach.. unless you swap the wire all the time for adjust something .. is plug was very much justify.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You have to tell the F@H to go for the secondary Card.

Find your Folding@home folder in your Program Files and then make a shortcut of the .exe file. In the Target Field of that GPU Client put -gpu 1.

It should in theory fire up on your GTX+.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
You have to tell the F@H to go for the secondary Card.

Find your Folding@home folder in your Program Files and then make a shortcut of the .exe file. In the Target Field of that GPU Client put -gpu 1.

It should in theory fire up on your GTX+.

ST

I don't know how come ST know this do you have folding GPU too. the error message was probably because he use the nvidia client , and F@H was pointing the ATI

by the way I think I will fallow the example of ST... bigadv is too stressing.. GPU GPU GPU
Old February 4, 2010, 10:49 AM
Banned
F@H

not sure about you guys, but for dummy plug? i use a vga cord or same monitor to set it up once, then its set, no need to have a plug. extend your desktop, voila.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:58 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
not sure about you guys, but for dummy plug? i use a vga cord or same monitor to set it up once, then its set, no need to have a plug. extend your desktop, voila.
it"s not what I said....