Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   ATI + nvdia folding? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/28581-ati-nvdia-folding.html)

Fudd Rucker February 4, 2010 08:50 AM

ATI + nvdia folding?

Hello all

I picked up a PNY 9800GTX+ yesterday for physx and figured when it wasnt in use for that I could use it for folding. So I went ahead installed the F@H gpu client, but it wont let me run it because it says my current gpu or driver isnt supported and the program promply halts.

Is there a different version of F@H that I could download and configure to use my 9800GTX and to look for it instead of jumping to my primary GPU. Also was hoping to not have to set up a VM to get this work.

To clarify my problem this is what happens when i start the client

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2909/capturewq.png

So would I have to run a switch on the .exe to look for the nvidia gpu instead?

_dangtx_ February 4, 2010 08:56 AM

i think one may use the -g80 thing?

martin_metal_88 February 4, 2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker (Post 328383)
Hello all

I picked up a PNY 9800GTX+ yesterday for physx and figured when it wasnt in use for that I could use it for folding. So I went ahead installed the F@H gpu client, but it wont let me run it because it says my current gpu or driver isnt supported and the program promply halts.

Is there a different version of F@H that I could download and configure to use my 9800GTX and to look for it instead of jumping to my primary GPU. Also was hoping to not have to set up a VM to get this work.

If you want it to work you have to do yourself a dummy plug
Imageshack - dsc0001xj2.jpg - Uploaded by jgoldrb48

3.0Charlie have done many and you can find how to do it on the internet. With that it is supose to work. BUT, you will have to start 2 client ( 1 per card ) when the 9800GTX is started you can close the ATI one so only the Nvidia will be folding.

Fudd Rucker February 4, 2010 09:28 AM

The dummy plug has been taken care of via hacked driver to get my physx to work. What I want is for it to ignore my 5870 entirely and go straight for the 9800 GTX

switch33 February 4, 2010 09:41 AM

Usually you have to specify the gpu core switch like dangtx suggested when folding on multiple cards

MarkOne February 4, 2010 09:41 AM

Martin you just need the plug if you want configure without an other monitor atach to it. when you set and the desktop extend you can run without anythng... I am right ?

If I remember well 3.0 was using 4 dual GPU ,,, so 8 monitors to attach.. unless you swap the wire all the time for adjust something .. is plug was very much justify.

Soultribunal February 4, 2010 10:25 AM

You have to tell the F@H to go for the secondary Card.

Find your Folding@home folder in your Program Files and then make a shortcut of the .exe file. In the Target Field of that GPU Client put -gpu 1.

It should in theory fire up on your GTX+.

ST

MarkOne February 4, 2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 328431)
You have to tell the F@H to go for the secondary Card.

Find your Folding@home folder in your Program Files and then make a shortcut of the .exe file. In the Target Field of that GPU Client put -gpu 1.

It should in theory fire up on your GTX+.

ST

I don't know how come ST know this :whistle: do you have folding GPU too. :rofl: the error message was probably because he use the nvidia client , and F@H was pointing the ATI

by the way I think I will fallow the example of ST... bigadv is too stressing.. GPU GPU GPU

_dangtx_ February 4, 2010 10:49 AM

not sure about you guys, but for dummy plug? i use a vga cord or same monitor to set it up once, then its set, no need to have a plug. extend your desktop, voila.

MarkOne February 4, 2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 328452)
not sure about you guys, but for dummy plug? i use a vga cord or same monitor to set it up once, then its set, no need to have a plug. extend your desktop, voila.

it"s not what I said....:ph34r: