Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 05:10 AM
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rouyn-noranda, QC
Posts: 809
Default Ram for folding

Hi, anyone already try compare ram(not gpu ram) speed when folding?

maybe some one know where i can get 2gb of ddr3 for cheap?

Thanks
Phil
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 05:57 AM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3_66666 View Post
maybe some one know where i can get 2gb of ddr3 for cheap? Phil
ram are sell at small profits. I don't thing you will find a big deal on them.( I have to buy quite a few and I will like a miracle too ) ddr2 still very easy to find on the use market.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 06:59 AM
0o0 0o0 is offline
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto ON
Posts: 855

My System Specs

Default

I had some used ddr3, 2 gigs for 35 bucks in my FS thread but I honestly don't think it's practical worrying about different types of ram unless you've got dual i7's on that dual socket evga mobo maxed out at 6ghz with 7x250gts or 7x285 WC (is that possible?), in which case it'd be better to build a new farm altogether instead of worrying about ram
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 07:04 AM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
...... unless you've got dual i7's on that dual socket evga mobo maxed out at 6ghz .
Someone see a EVGA board with dual i7 ...kid : it's a dual 1366 socket.. not dual i7, it will run with Xeon processors. .
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 07:26 AM
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rouyn-noranda, QC
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
I had some used ddr3, 2 gigs for 35 bucks in my FS thread but I honestly don't think it's practical worrying about different types of ram unless you've got dual i7's on that dual socket evga mobo maxed out at 6ghz with 7x250gts or 7x285 WC (is that possible?), in which case it'd be better to build a new farm altogether instead of worrying about ram

pmed for the ram, but i think you forgot to bump you thread

thanks guy, this answer is what i was wanting to see
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

If you're folding -bigadv workunits, RAM speed can actually make a pretty significant difference. But otherwise, it's not a concern.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 08:00 AM
matsta31's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,204
Default

Interested in this last one zero, got some thraed to link to so I could read on RAM and Bigadv, or do you have recommendation regarding what I should do with my ram ? (timing or speed ?)
__________________

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 2, 2010, 08:15 AM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Interested in this last one zero, got some thraed to link to so I could read on RAM and Bigadv, or do you have recommendation regarding what I should do with my ram ? (timing or speed ?)
it's more on speed I guess, since we OC our board it's more easy to use a 1600 ram when you put the block at 200 , than OC a 1333 one..
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Absolute best Folding GPU for Folding CasheKicker HardwareCanucks F@H Team 21 February 14, 2012 09:54 AM
folding on 3 core / core free for gpu folding phil3_66666 HardwareCanucks F@H Team 12 January 11, 2010 06:07 PM
[FS] SD ram and RD ram.. and mini pci wireless cards shockthebox Buy/Sell & Trade 4 April 27, 2009 09:32 PM
Folding Rig RAM Choice Soultribunal RAM 11 April 9, 2009 06:07 AM
Is Patriat Ram Great Ram or not mailaw RAM 2 July 21, 2007 04:48 AM