Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default A3 WU Bonus Points Woes For Non-dedicated Folder

SMP2... now that I'm folding a A3 WU, they're bad for me and I might consider sticking with the A1 and A2 WU till they disappear. Because our computers are not on 24/7, I'm going to have a bigger drop in points than expected. Turned my rig off last night. Said I'd do over 3000PPD folding A3 WU (Project: 6012 (Run 0, Clone 133, Gen 33)). However I only managed to complete 25% before the computer was turned off. Fired it back up today and PPD dropped to 2000. At this rate it'll be down to 500PPD with the A3 WUs.

With the A1 and A2 WU, I will always get that set amount of points regardless of how long it takes to finish. With A3 WU, this is not the case as the bonus plays a huge part in determining how much points I would get.

I don't mind folding 24/7, but the fact that electricity cost is almost double during weekday afternoons when compared to night is simply unreal. Folding overnight is possible, but I have to consider how it'll affect my family when we sleep. Then there's the fact that is it worth sacrificing the Earth to fold for science? Without Earth, there is no science.
Old January 28, 2010, 06:03 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The bonus system was implemented because it is more valuable to Stanford for units to be completed and sent back as quickly as possible. Unfortunately that is not the ideal situation for part-time folders like yourself, but it's what is best for the project as a whole (or so the people in charge believe, and I'm inclined to believe them since they are the ones actually doing the research).

Remember that the important thing is the science, and that the points system is supposed to be representative of how much science is getting done. The new points system was designed specifically so that the number of points is more in line with the science.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea science is important and what's the reason why I fold. However it's discouraging when points are actually lower than what they can.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Well, to be blunt, that's technically your fault, not Stanford's. The points that you get are proportional to your contribution to the project. You may not like the new points system, but keep in mind that it was implemented to make the points allocation more fair.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You say it's my fault but think about it. Folding 24/7 means paying more for electricity. Smart Meter TOU Rates | Toronto Hydro Electric System

Plus, you're destroying the environment in order to achieve science. To keep it simple, in my opinion, with no Earth, there will be no science.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If we actually used better energy production systems that argument would be a mute point. We could easily power the entire country on renewable energy (hydro and mainly nuclear) but no one wants to build new nuclear facilities after Chernobyl and 3-mile island even though that was decades ago and was with less safe designs compared to now. Hell a CANDU reactor can't go critical to the point where it can leak radiation/explode and harm those outside of the facility
Old January 29, 2010, 11:02 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
You say it's my fault but think about it. Folding 24/7 means paying more for electricity. Smart Meter TOU Rates | Toronto Hydro Electric System

Plus, you're destroying the environment in order to achieve science. To keep it simple, in my opinion, with no Earth, there will be no science.
You fold as much as your personal situation allows you to. That's fine. And the points you receive represent how much you fold. If you don't fold more, you shouldn't expect to receive more points. That's simply the point I'm trying to bring across. The amount you fold is controlled by you, not Stanford. If you want more points, you have to fold more. Otherwise, be content with what you get.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
If we actually used better energy production systems that argument would be a mute point. We could easily power the entire country on renewable energy (hydro and mainly nuclear) but no one wants to build new nuclear facilities after Chernobyl and 3-mile island even though that was decades ago and was with less safe designs compared to now. Hell a CANDU reactor can't go critical to the point where it can leak radiation/explode and harm those outside of the facility
Yes but the way Canada and the world is, that won't be happening anytime soon. Probably not within my lifetime either. But that's another topic. Either way, I don't see why I should harm the environment for science. That's how I feel. Leaving the rig on when electricity is at its cheapest is good enough folding for me.

@zero. True but it's discouraging when the A3 WU result in such a huge drop in points. I'm switching my sister's client back to VMware folding till Stanford removes support for that. As for my own client, I'll probably keep it at SMP2 folding.