Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Noob Questions

So, I'm very interested in folding, but digging through all the folding threads hasn't yielded some general info I was wondering about. I'm not too concerned with actually setting it up since there seems like some good guides available. My questions are:

1. How much resources does folding take on a cpu? If I used the high performance clients, will I be able to run other programs, like surf the net, or download some tv shows?
  2. Can I pause folding at any time? Or once I start I'm committed to finishing that unit?
  3. How much of a difference for PPD is there for the general client and the high performance (SMP/GPU ones). My system info should be viewable.
  4. How much internet bandwidth will folding consume per month?
  5. Is it going to fry my pc?
  6. Does folding involving a lot of HDD access/writing? I don't know if I'd be able to handle my HDD writing all the time, I'd probably throw it out the window from annoyance.
I'm sure these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I'm having trouble finding them efficiently. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:46 PM

My System Specs

1. It will take 100% if you are using all the cores. But you can set the set the priority to low so that it doesn't really interfere with anything else.
2. With the SMP clients there is no way to pause. You could just close it and reopen when you need to. You'll only loose at most 15 minutes of work.
3. One core you'll get 700ish PPD w/ your CPU. W/ 4 cores you should be able to get close to 7000ppd w/ the new SMP2 and A3 core.
4. Very very little. A few MB.
5. No
6. AFAIK no. Although I run SSD's on all my machine.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:54 PM
Banned
F@H

LowFat answer all your question very well . I can say that I notice no latency when browsing and download stuf.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yay, questions regarding folding I can answer!

1. I run the WMware client for folding with my CPU and I am surfing the web to answer you at the same time, I'm actually playing a not too demanding game(enough that my old computer wouldn't play it). Sure that cuts down on my PPD, but it doesn't affect my gaming experience at all because the computer distributes the ressources where they are needed and what is unused goes to folding.

2. You can shut the program anytime you want. That's what I do when I play more demanding games; however, you have deadline to complete a WU, so if you shut for too long then your previous work goes to waste. Once the WU is done tho, you can shut for as long as u want.

3. I am not sure, but I'd say there's a big difference between high performance and regular client.

4. read what lowfat said

5. Computer parts are meant to have a lifetime which is usually much longer than the time you own and use(and can use) the computer; however, sh*t happens and its possible that a computer part will die out. Will it be due to folding, its doubtful, but keep in mind it is being used while folding.

6. As far as I'm concerned, I'd say there is not much HDD access, with my case opened, I can't pin point the noise of my caviar black.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Damn, I was hoping it would fry my PC so I'd have a legitimate excuse to upgrade. Maybe's I'll just 'loosen' that heat sink.

Hopefully I'll have some time to set it up the weekend. Might try to run the GPU client as well. I guess I shouldn't have sold my 8800gt.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:29 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt View Post
Damn, I was hoping it would fry my PC so I'd have a legitimate excuse to upgrade. Maybe's I'll just 'loosen' that heat sink.
Start folding with what you have - you will become addicted and find a reason to build an upgraded system while keeping your current one.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

6. I've found they use very little access/writing as i have three hard drives in my system and whenever i access one (the main one which has the 2 gpu clients on it, or the one that houses the cpu client) i typically have to wait to have the pc spin up the hard drive from standby to access it for other stuff stored on it
Old January 29, 2010, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M View Post
Start folding with what you have - you will become addicted and find a reason to build an upgraded system while keeping your current one.
I need a bigger bankroll for that. Engineers are underpaid...