Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2010, 08:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

i tried this, it find 2 core but give my this message
Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  45.5 KB
Old January 26, 2010, 08:21 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3_66666 View Post
i tried this, it find 2 core but give my this message
Attachment 8977
go in to the SMP client folder and run the install.bat see if that helps.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

got it running thanks

will let you know how many ppd it give
Old January 26, 2010, 09:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Someone has a clue if it would be worth the hassle changing a vmware folding (doing 1800 ppd on a athlon II X2 215 stock) to the windows SMP2 client?
Old January 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
Someone has a clue if it would be worth the hassle changing a vmware folding (doing 1800 ppd on a athlon II X2 215 stock) to the windows SMP2 client?
i just make the change 1h ago, th vm was running at 2300ppd, the smp2 at 1700, so right now i say no, not for athlon2.. but i will let it run to get another WU, maybe the p6013 i got is bad.. i will let you know
Old January 26, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3_66666 View Post
i just make the change 1h ago, th vm was running at 2300ppd, the smp2 at 1700, so right now i say no, not for athlon2.. but i will let it run to get another WU, maybe the p6013 i got is bad.. i will let you know
Are you including the bonus in your calculations? I'm going to make the change soon and will probably have to install HFM.NET since FahMon doesn't calculate the bonus.
Old January 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Last night I spent a lot of time testing the new WUs out on dual core and quad core hardware from both AMD and Intel, comparing results of the new SMP client for Windows and the A3 core versus the previous SMP client for Linux under VMware and the A2 core. And I feel like I've seen enough to say this:

- Both AMD and Intel quads, but especially Intel quads are faster with the new SMP client and A3 cores.

- i7 processors with HT are faster with the new SMP client and A3 cores when compared to regular SMP projects, but bigadv projects (which still use the A2 core) continue to outperform the new client and core.

- Both AMD and Intel dual cores are slower with the new SMP client and A3 cores. They are not fast enough to earn enough of a bonus. As a result (for the timebeing at least), dual core users should stick with their current configurations.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 26, 2010, 10:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
- i7 processors with HT are faster with the new SMP client and A3 cores when compared to regular SMP projects, but bigadv projects (which still use the A2 core) continue to outperform the new client and core.

- Both AMD and Intel dual cores are slower with the new SMP client and A3 cores. They are not fast enough to earn enough of a bonus. As a result (for the timebeing at least), dual core users should stick with their current configurations.
Awesome post.

Are there plans for bigadv users to get the A3 core? Perhaps a performance increase is in the works there too if the TPF is better (or is there just a bigger bonus for quad users on the A3)?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes - Kasson has instructed Bigadv folders to update their clients (hence the new FredNotFred and dev version of LinuxRouter's appliance). That can only mean that A3 is coming to Bigadv at some point.

Here's the thing though. As I understand it, A3 behaves similarly on both Windows and Linux. So, if Bigadv will soon be migrated to A3, then one might speculate that Bigadv will also be available on the new Windows SMP client. And since a native installation will always outperform a virtualized one, we could be in for some big time numbers from Bigadv.

Nothing official has been announced yet, though, and the concept of Bigadv running on the Windows SMP client is purely speculation.

I'd love it to be true though, 'cuz then I could actually use the four PCIe slots on Leviathan! (once it comes back from RMA. sadface.)

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 26, 2010, 10:59 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
then one might speculate that Bigadv will also be available on the new Windows SMP client. And since a native installation will always outperform a virtualized one, we could be in for some big time numbers from Bigadv.

Nothing official has been announced yet, though, and the concept of Bigadv running on the Windows SMP client is purely speculation.
)

Hopefully this comes sooner than later.