Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
need link to this download.........all I find is the 6.23 the one I already have.
If you have the 6.23 SMP just replace the .exe with this drop-in one http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/fold...-Win32-x86.exe

Old January 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm trying to figure this one out. I am testing it on my i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz. Fahspy says i am getting 4625 ppd on an A3 core but i have a bonus factor of 4.9204. Is it to my understand that this bonus factor is multiplied to the ppd i am getting or the wu credit (which is 2326) ?
Old January 25, 2010, 09:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm trying to figure this one out. I am testing it on my i7 920 @ 3.8 Ghz. Fahspy says i am getting 4625 ppd on an A3 core but i have a bonus factor of 4.9204. Is it to my understand that this bonus factor is multiplied to the ppd i am getting or the wu credit (which is 2326) ?
The actual WU is worth either 470pts,380pts,or 484pts.

WU points X bonus factor should roughly equal the WU credit,..I think.

Don't be surprised if it fluctuates as your bonus factor changes depending on the load on your rig.

Old January 25, 2010, 09:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So how much points should i roughly be expecting to see, since i am rather confused with this right now because fahmon/fhm.net aren't doing their jobs properly by telling me my i7 is getting 6k ppd set to low priority on an A3
Old January 25, 2010, 10:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
So how much points should i roughly be expecting to see, since i am rather confused with this right now because fahmon/fhm.net aren't doing their jobs properly by telling me my i7 is getting 6k ppd set to low priority on an A3
Are you using the -smp 8 flag. You are much better off running -bigadv in a VM.

Which WU is it running, HFM.net will give you the actual point value of the WU in the Queue window.

As I said in the other thread FahMon won't work, HFM.net works fine.

Maybe keep this in one thread or start a new one...

Old January 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We'll stick to this thread
Old January 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You dont have to set the flag as it auto detects (and even told me 8 cores + i see all 8 cores engaged to 100%)
Old January 25, 2010, 10:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
You dont have to set the flag as it auto detects (and even told me 8 cores + i see all 8 cores engaged to 100%)
I have read threads on other posts that indicate the SMP2 core dosn't take advantage of HT, so you would get the same ppd with HT/8cores as you would with HT off/4cores. This is all still new so who knows.

Sticking to this thread sounds good, I did respond to your post in the other thread though.

Old January 25, 2010, 10:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah i saw the post, i manually set the flag to smp 8 this time and so far still seems to be the same results for ppd and steps but we'll see once it gets through a few of them and i'll post it the screenie of fhm.net The reason i want to try smp2 is the fact that tonight i lost 2, count them 2 big adv wu with vmware due to the ice storm we're having here right now. LUCKILY it was when they were in the low percentages (first one was about 10-14%, second one was about 4%) but had it been near 100% i'd have been mighty pissed. An UPS is not an option right now as i really dont have the physical space for it right now in my small dorm room and its also not an expense at the moment i think i need to be making (100$ i'm assuming).

Edit: going to try to run a new A3 wu from scratch with -smp 8 -advmethods -bigadv (i know the last one wont do anything yet but its preparing for the future)
Old January 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah i saw the post, i manually set the flag to smp 8 this time and so far still seems to be the same results for ppd and steps but we'll see once it gets through a few of them and i'll post it the screenie of fhm.net The reason i want to try smp2 is the fact that tonight i lost 2, count them 2 big adv wu with vmware due to the ice storm we're having here right now. LUCKILY it was when they were in the low percentages (first one was about 10-14%, second one was about 4%) but had it been near 100% i'd have been mighty pissed. An UPS is not an option right now as i really dont have the physical space for it right now in my small dorm room and its also not an expense at the moment i think i need to be making (100$ i'm assuming).

Edit: going to try to run a new A3 wu from scratch with -smp 8 -advmethods -bigadv (i know the last one wont do anything yet but its preparing for the future)
Don't blame you for being upset, I would be too if it was me. We just have to hope they get the -bigadv switched over to the A3 core soon.

Have you upgraded to linuxrouters newest version it's 1.1 I think and uses the new 6.29 client.

All else being said your ppd does sound a little low for being at 3.8, my Q9550 @3.67 got between 8400 and 9200 ppd on the first p6012 (470pt) WU depending on which WU's the two gpu's were folding.

The bonus and therefore credit you get seems to vary quite a bit depending on what else the cpu is doing. I stopped the second WU to do some Boinc and the credit dropped a fair bit.

Just noticed there's a new SMP2 bonus points calculator out Folding@home SMP2 Bonus Point Calculator

Speed is everything...