Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2010, 05:44 AM
Banned
F@H

Default Installing a second GPU

Ok my other GPU are out for delivery, so I will need to install them tonight. I read the instuction but I have a question about this part

" When Windows ask to look for a driver hit CANCEL. If you let Windows install the driver automatically, there is a big risk of having sub-par performances or client issues. "

I use exactly the same card. so I suppose windows will not ask me for driver right ?. did I need to know something else about this driver istalation ?

thanks

Old January 21, 2010, 06:42 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Ok my other GPU are out for delivery, so I will need to install them tonight. I read the instuction but I have a question about this part

" When Windows ask to look for a driver hit CANCEL. If you let Windows install the driver automatically, there is a big risk of having sub-par performances or client issues. "

I use exactly the same card. so I suppose windows will not ask me for driver right ?. did I need to know something else about this driver istalation ?

thanks
When you install the second card and reboot Windows should detect New Hardware and search for the drivers automatically. Since they should be there from the first card you should not need to install new ones.

The caution you highlighted above is mostly for gpus that come with older drivers on their installation disks...

Old January 21, 2010, 06:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

Just install the second card and windows will automatically install the drivers for you. Works fine this way, at least in Windows XP which is what I am running.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:50 AM
Banned
F@H

Thanks. will double my PPD tonight if everything go well , this one run on XP too
Old January 21, 2010, 01:28 PM
Banned
F@H

it's running. the only problem they are running both at 6700PPD each , before with only 1 I have over 8000PPD, I will see latter . may be not the same work
Old January 21, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, PPD rates can vary pretty significantly from WU to WU. That's probably all it is a reflection of, so nothing to worry about. But definitely worth checking out to make sure that is, in fact, the case.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

so i understand you are still folding? if yes glad to have you in the team
Old January 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Banned
F@H

Ya, I think all the night ( 2 night ago) about it , I don't like to play game and I like build PC, so no choice . they have to do something. so I still continue to add a GPU a week, this week I put 2 , New Egg don't have anymore the MSI gtx 260, so I order an asus 250 from an other place, it's folding at 4900 ppd in my Windows Home Server ( every PC have to be use ) next week I will go for a 260 216 for try , it's getting hot in upper garage, 19'C , will have to open a window.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

when i add a second gpu i always clean up the old. first i uninstall any gpu related drivers and soft ware. second i shut down pc and put in the second card. then i start back up and install drivers fresh for both cards. to avoid any conflicts at all.
Old January 21, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONEDOGG View Post
when i add a second gpu i always clean up the old. first i uninstall any gpu related drivers and soft ware. second i shut down pc and put in the second card. then i start back up and install drivers fresh for both cards. to avoid any conflicts at all.
Yeah - I'm with you on that one RONEDOGG.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!