Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 08:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You don't need SLI enabled. If you are using Vista or 7, dummy plug isn't required either with 191.07 or newer drivers. I run with and without SLI enabled on a single monitor, no extended desktop and no plug while using Vista Premium 64.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You don't need SLI enabled. If you are using Vista or 7, dummy plug isn't required either with 191.07 or newer drivers. I run with and without SLI enabled on a single monitor, no extended desktop and no plug while using Vista Premium 64.
Your board is SLI capable though, will it still work on an older non-SLI board like the P5K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Except the P5K I was going to run this on isn't an SLI board...
If it won't work and your monitor has dual inputs just plug both cards into it, if not just grab a dummy from Perineum.

Another way is to just use the monitor from your main rig to get it running then swap it back...

Old January 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I ran two cards (GTS250 and 9800GTX+) on my old Gigabyte board that was not sli, and no dummy plug.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

there is hack to enable sli on all non nforce motheboards if anyone is interested Making SLI work on ANY non Nforce chipset MB - XtremeSystems Forums
Old January 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Your board is SLI capable though, will it still work on an older non-SLI board like the P5K.
That's why I said I run it both ways, so Caldezar would know it worked. I have found that my PPD went up slightly while SLI was disabled. Plus when it's disabled I can game on GPU 0 while GPU 1 is still folding away.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
That's why I said I run it both ways, so Caldezar would know it worked. I have found that my PPD went up slightly while SLI was disabled. Plus when it's disabled I can game on GPU 0 while GPU 1 is still folding away.
Sorry I didn't explain myself well, what I meant was with your board it can still use the SLI capability to communicate even when you are not using SLI.

I didn't know it would work on an older non-SLI board as well, thanks for the info gents...

I tried the no monitor or dummy plug with my i7 860 board and found I would get a ppd drop on the non-primary cards sometimes, luckily my monitor has three inputs which fixed the problem...

Old January 17, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can't SLI or fold without the SolyTech SL-C350ATX 350W
Old January 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
You can't SLI or fold without the SolyTech SL-C350ATX 350W
If only I knew where to get my hands on one...

Thanks for all the reply's gang! I appreciate the help! I've already ordered the GTS250's through work and I got a good deal on a PSU here on the site. So now it's just down to shipping on both sides. When I get the gear in a week's time or so, I'll set it all up and see how far I get.

So to summarize, I don't need SLI or dummy plugs, nor do I need a second monitor at any stage. All I need to do is install the cards (separately with 2 separate driver installs? Or together with a single driver install?) then set up 2 GPU clients with extensions as noted in the linked thread.

Also curious, the thread that was linked shows the GPU's listed as GPU 0 and GPU 1. I assume this is a Windows default? Or does that need to be assigned?

Last edited by Caldezar; January 17, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old January 17, 2010, 09:22 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Also curious, the thread that was linked shows the GPU's listed as GPU 0 and GPU 1. I assume this is a Windows default? Or does that need to be assigned?
Which GPU is 0 and which one is 1 doesn't matter. All that matters is that each GPU is assigned a different number, so that F@H doesn't try to run multiple clients on one card.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
If only I knew where to get my hands on one...

Thanks for all the reply's gang! I appreciate the help! I've already ordered the GTS250's through work and I got a good deal on a PSU here on the site. So now it's just down to shipping on both sides. When I get the gear in a week's time or so, I'll set it all up and see how far I get.

So to summarize, I don't need SLI or dummy plugs, nor do I need a second monitor at any stage. All I need to do is install the cards (separately with 2 separate driver installs? Or together with a single driver install?) then set up 2 GPU clients with extensions as noted in the linked thread.

Not sure on how to install without using either a second monitor input, or dummy plug, but as far as the drivers go.... install one card w/drivers, and the second card with grab the drivers when you physically install it. (no need to re-install the drivers for successive cards).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP