Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2007, 09:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yes my issue is with the drag and drop as I do not "do" code and when I attempt to type the code into the terminal I always get "command not found" but I remember if you copy and paste it it works fine which of course is ridiculous but

I am running it on Vista so I don't know if the older version is compatable
Old October 3, 2007, 03:17 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Finally I have both Linux instances running under Vmware - runs like a champ, folding @ 4300+ ppd (both are crunching WU 2605)! And that's only on the Q6600... add the E6400 (still under windows @ ~1400 ppd - WU 2653) and the lappy (@ ~ 800 ppd - WU 2653), it's a nice small farm.

Only one small bug: when I setup the second Linux instance, I followed pscout's instructions regarding folders sharing. I did all actions, but if I try to add that FAH instance to Fahmon (within Windows), it only finds folders, not files. I can see the files within Linux.

The folder sharing works fine on the first Linux instance, since I can add the FAH folder to Fahmon.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

John

Last edited by 3.0charlie; October 3, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 05:07 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Finally I have both Linux instances running under Vmware - runs like a champ, folding @ 4300+ ppd (both are crunching WU 2605)! And that's only on the Q6600... add the E6400 (still under windows @ ~1400 ppd - WU 2653) and the lappy (@ ~ 800 ppd - WU 2653), it's a nice small farm.

Only one small bug: when I setup the second Linux instance, I followed pscout's instructions regarding folders sharing. I did all actions, but if I try to add that FAH instance to Fahmon (within Windows), it only finds folders, not files. I can see the files within Linux.

The folder sharing works fine on the first Linux instance, since I can add the FAH folder to Fahmon.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

John
Did you clone the first vm to make the second one?

If so in linux network you need to:
- assign a different static ip to it - i am guessing you did this or are using dhcp .. smp is is prone to problems when you use dhcp.
- under hosts tab, change the alias for 127.0.1.1 to something else unique eg ds3l-1-vm2
- under general tab, change the host name to whatever you used above.

Be careful you stop the client before making these changes. In fact I would back up the wu before you do it ... or better still let the client finish the wu and not get another with the -pause or -oneunit flags. The smp client uses the local loopback to communicate between cores so it is sensitive to the local host name change. I have seen problems with this before.

Last edited by pscout; October 3, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscout View Post
Did you clone the first vm to make the second one?
Nope. Brand new Linux install, while the first one was already at work.

edit: more info. I've checked the Network settings of both instances. Both have the same iP address (127.0.1.1), but have different aliases.
edit2: I've changed the iP address to .2, changed the alias and revised the same alias under general. Updating ATM, will re-start right after.
edit3: got it working finally - with the changes that you specified and a Linux reboot, it's all fine and dandy.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; October 3, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

One question regarding the new fah6: which option should be selected: small, normal or large?

What is the equivalent of the 2653s we were having with fah5?
Old October 3, 2007, 06:03 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Nope. Brand new Linux install, while the first one was already at work.

edit: more info. I've checked the Network settings of both instances. Both have the same iP address (127.0.1.1), but have different aliases.
edit2: I've changed the iP address to .2, changed the alias and revised the same alias under general. Updating ATM, will re-start right after.
edit3: got it working finally - with the changes that you specified and a Linux reboot, it's all fine and dandy.
Glad you got it going.

Every os should have the same 127.0.1.1 address ... it is only local host accessible ... for use within the os's tcp/ip stack and not available on the network.

Whatever is used as the alias on it should be the same as the hostname so that mpiexec and the 4 cores can find each other.

A duplicate hostname is what would have been screwing up your samba share I think.

Changing hostname on linux or windows requires a reboot.

Last edited by pscout; October 3, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I didn't have a duplicate host name, only a very long second one - which I have shortened. Aside from that, Fahmon now recongnizes the folders and I can add the rig.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:11 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
One question regarding the new fah6: which option should be selected: small, normal or large?

What is the equivalent of the 2653s we were having with fah5?
I don't think small, normal or large matters atm. Go large

You get the same wu's whether you are on v5 or v6 atm. Above settings may alter that if new wu types come out that require large. They would proably have higher bonuses and either need more memory, and/or larger upload/download bandwidth.

I have heard statements that there may be bonuses handed out in the future for using a passphrase ... my guess is to encourage adoption of the v6 client but i can't see it happening until after the client comes out of beta.

Last edited by pscout; October 3, 2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old October 3, 2007, 06:13 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
I didn't have a duplicate host name, only a very long second one - which I have shortened. Aside from that, Fahmon now recongnizes the folders and I can add the rig.
Thanks, that is good to know ... linux encourages long names but windows doesn't like them i guess.
Old October 3, 2007, 11:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yep dl'd the 1.02 version and still no VMware tools and code won't work in Terminal so I give up