Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2007, 07:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Cool.... yeah I'm running 94%, and dropped quite a few points in temp as well.... :)

We'll have to see how stable it works out for me as this is my main rig.

I couldn't get the "shortcut" to work yet. It asks me how I want to run it, and does something, but doesn't display a text window. (FahMon also doesn't show it as running.....).

I'll play with that later as it's not that big of an issue for me to run it from the command line. (especially now that I've got the switches written down.... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 1, 2007, 10:30 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Cool.... yeah I'm running 94%, and dropped quite a few points in temp as well.... :)

We'll have to see how stable it works out for me as this is my main rig.

I couldn't get the "shortcut" to work yet. It asks me how I want to run it, and does something, but doesn't display a text window. (FahMon also doesn't show it as running.....).

I'll play with that later as it's not that big of an issue for me to run it from the command line. (especially now that I've got the switches written down.... :) ).
The shortcut in linux is launched by typing its name in a terminal window, not by double clicking it like in windows. I believe there is a way through association like settings to get it to launch the shortcut in a terminal window including a CD to the right directory ... i never bothered to figure it our since it is easy to use cmd recall (cursor up/down) in a terminal window to display the previous cmds so you just hit enter on the right ones. I almost never need to type in 'cd folding' and './fold' ... i just use 1 x cursor up and hit enter, and then 2x cursor up then enter.

When you set up sharing to your home directory, did you also run the 'sudo smbpasswd -a xxxx' command and get a success message?

Also, since this is your main rig, you should adjust the max memory setting under host and your 1 vm's setting so that they don't default to use as much memory. running a single vm on a 2 gb system you only need to give the host setting ~ 500 mb although giving it ~ 800 mb will get the vm started faster by avoiding paging in linux. The vm can be set to the same value if you only run 1 vm. The default host parm on a 2gb rig is ~ 1.8 gb, and 896mb on a 1gb rig. On my quads with 2gb and 2 vm's I set the host parm to 1.6 gb and each vm's parm to 800 mb. Folding will work fine with the vm set at 400-500 mb but the vm becomes laggy to use and it takes a while for it to boot and for folding to get going since it ends up paging a lot until folding is fully running. There is also a setting to control paging/memory commit in the host setting but you shouldn't need to change the default running (allow some) with a single vm and 800 MB size unless you set a small vm size. On my 1gb rigs with 2 vms I have to change it too 'allow most' since the memory is heavily over committed.

You may also want to play with priority using task manger on the vm execution processs if you are going to try to game etc with it still running. Although the folding client runs at idle priority inside the vm, the vm that hosts it does not - it will be at normal priority so dropping it a bit may make the system more usable when needed, at the cost of slowing down the vm and client when you are active on windows with other apps. My vmware rigs are dedicated to folding so i don't need to adjust priority.

Last edited by pscout; October 1, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old October 2, 2007, 12:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Well to say the least I find all of this quite confusing. I ran a VMWare server with linux and FaH back when I had an AMD 2x64 3800+ rig 3 years ago and I didn't find it to work well at that time although I found it easy to setup

This time however I am having problems. For some reason VMWare tools was not installed or is not working with my server and I am unable to find a way around it. It keeps saying "VMWare Tools cannot be installed with this guest operating system" So unless there is an uncomplicated fix I will be returning to a normal SMP tomorrow
Old October 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I too have that same error; I never installed VMware Tools and it still runs fine by me.

John
Old October 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Well to say the least I find all of this quite confusing. I ran a VMWare server with linux and FaH back when I had an AMD 2x64 3800+ rig 3 years ago and I didn't find it to work well at that time although I found it easy to setup

This time however I am having problems. For some reason VMWare tools was not installed or is not working with my server and I am unable to find a way around it. It keeps saying "VMWare Tools cannot be installed with this guest operating system" So unless there is an uncomplicated fix I will be returning to a normal SMP tomorrow

Are you trying to install vmware server v1.0.3? if so, it fails on most of my rigs.
However, v 1.0.2 installs and works fine.

As 3.0C said, ignore the vmware tools not installed message even on v 1.0.2 Everything works fine without it.
I think those tools are intended for use in a remote admin scenario for real servers ... and you don't need them since you have direct control on your desktop. One of the things it needs if you do want to try using the tools is to have iis installed. I never bothered with it.

Is that the only reason you were going to switch back to the native win smp client? Or do you find it causes you usability problems on windows with other apps? Have you tried tuning the memory usage in the host and vm settings, or adjusting the priority on the vmware-vmx.exe tasks?
I am curious to learn what your experiences are.

It wasn't entirely clear in your post if you are having install problems, or execution problems.
Old October 2, 2007, 07:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe the real benefit of having the tools installed is the ability to drag & drop between the host and virtual OS. (At least that's what I remember from the last time I tried a VM).

The "batch file" with switches works fine from the command line... I guess I was expecting too much by thinking it would work as a bootable icon.... :)

Even the dreaded 2609 is giving me 2075 PPD so there is a definate improvement to running Linux under VMware on a XP machine.

I haven't notice any problems doing day to day work on the computer by having the memory set to 1740 so I'll leave it there, but may bump that size down prior to gaming (doesn't happen all that much nowadays... :) ).

Since this thread has gone off on a tangent (sorry to the OP ) if nobody minds I'll move the "Linux under VMware" posts into a thread of their own....

If nobody says "nay" by tomorrow night I'll move them. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 2, 2007, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Please do, in respect to the OP. Anyway, pscout wanted to make a how-to. I believe with the amount of info in here, it is complete.
Old October 2, 2007, 08:14 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

yes, good idea to move/copy much of it to a vmware-linux how to thread.

I will review when you are done and see what else i have forgotten to add to it.
Old October 2, 2007, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can you revise your title? Since It works under Vista too (even Ultimate).
Old October 2, 2007, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Can you revise your title? Since It works under Vista too (even Ultimate).
Done.