Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2007, 02:10 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Ok, I've got it up and running, but wasn't able to get the FahMon to configure for me, nor did the Ubuntu fah .deb seem to work.

I'm also completely lost as to how to make a shortcut that would include the required switches....

any more hints, or should I now go and do my homework now that I'm officially running linux for something other than the coolness of a live distro..... :)

Ititial results have it running 2605 @ 10:55 vice the 12+ for 2653 under windoze.

I run fahmon from windoze. I think John got it working in ubuntu, but i never even bothered trying. I like to monitor all my folding instances from my main wxp rig. So if you have samba installed and setup as per my notes, you should be able to monitor all your rigs from 1 instance of fahmon on windows. My notes assume WORKGROUP as the default domain but if your wndows is home edition then i think the default domain name is MSHome. It should work either way or even mixed .... i just like all my shares to show up in the same domain list.

For shortcuts, they seem to have deleted the info from the old faq for the v5.91 beta! When John set his up last week, he used the old faq. The old faq showed how to do it by just redirecting the output from a command line ... clearly written by a linux expert. I prefer to keep it all windows gui like so it is easier for me to remember.
So, you can make a shortcut by creating a file with gedit found under applications->accessories->text editor.
-type in './fah6 -verbosity 9 -forceasm -smp' without the quotes.
Save it in a file called fold (or whatever you like) in your folding directory.
-In a terminal window:
-'cd folding' or whatever you called your folding directory.
-type in 'chmod +x ./fold' to give it execute permission. Linux does not assume execute permission based on file extentions like .exe or .bat as windows does.

To execute the shortcut type in './fold' in a terminal window which is pointed at the folding directory ( ie. 'cd folding') ... if you already have the client running in another terminal close it with ctrl-c before you test your new shortcut.

Last edited by pscout; October 1, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old October 1, 2007, 04:37 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I did manage to have Fahmon running under Ubuntu - but it took me well over 2 hours of 'net searching... and don;t ask me to do it again, I have no idea how! It was more a matter of personal challenge.

Actually, running under Samba solves the problem, and allows monitoring of all Folding rigs, just like pscout mentionned - much more efficient that way.

edit: went through my favorites and found this link. That was probably the winner: FahMon Installation - The Folding@Home SMP Client Guide

Last edited by 3.0charlie; October 1, 2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: link added.
Old October 1, 2007, 05:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, thanks, I think that will do the trick. (It's the g++ I was missing).

It wouldn't configure in order to allow me to compile. It kept hanging up because something "couldn't make an executable" so I didn't get the "make" command file created.

This is great.... I'm finally getting a bit of an idea of how things work in Linux! :)

Thanks for your help.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 1, 2007, 05:28 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
Ok, thanks, I think that will do the trick. (It's the g++ I was missing).

It wouldn't configure in order to allow me to compile. It kept hanging up because something "couldn't make an executable" so I didn't get the "make" command file created.

This is great.... I'm finally getting a bit of an idea of how things work in Linux! :)

Thanks for your help.
Then i should have given you a command line only way to do everything ... except i can't remember them and would have to go back to my cheat sheets

Also, running under vmware shields you from some of the learning since linux has a pretty limited virtual bios interface to the hardware. Native linux can be a challenge if the stock version does not have integrated drivers for your real hardware that works. Learning how to install your own drivers and make any distro work on any hardware is your next challenge

Last edited by pscout; October 1, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old October 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Baby steps for me here..... :)

I've been wanting to play with linux for a couple of years now, however haven't done much other than install and verify basic functionality for productivity and web browsing / IM (gaim is absolutely amazing!!! :) ).

Last time I tried, I had major issues getting my networked printer to work even though there was a full linux package available for it.

What I need to get my hands dirty is more of the command line stuff so that I can understand better what is going on.

I'm an old Dos veteran so command line isn't an issue.... the main stumbling block for Linux from that aspect is the fact that it is a compiled OS which requires more than just "installing" programs which use pre-existing libraries (like DLLs in windows). It seems to me that under linux, each program has to install it's own presence directly to the heart of the OS in order to work.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 1, 2007, 05:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Mr. Wilson, you weren't the only one with problems last night... I have everything ready, except a compatible CPU! The E2140 is not 64bit-compatible... but I will receive the Q6600 tomorrow (snif! I feel a cold coming in), and I will swap both CPUs - the Q will be wc'ed with the DS3L, and the E6400 will air-cooled with the P965-S3. Can't wait to see the oc'ed results...

pscout, you mentionned 2 Linux under vmware, with a Q6600 and 2gb of Ram, right? How did you setup vmware Ram-wise? Is it 20% for Windooze, and 40% for each Linux?

Thanks.

John
Old October 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Baby steps for me here..... :)
I know the feeling... same here.

Quote:
I'm an old Dos veteran so command line isn't an issue.... the main stumbling block for Linux from that aspect is the fact that it is a compiled OS which requires more than just "installing" programs which use pre-existing libraries (like DLLs in windows). It seems to me that under linux, each program has to install it's own presence directly to the heart of the OS in order to work.
That's where I lack knowledge. I never played with DOS, so the command line interface and its functions are all new to me. I figured the compile aspect of Linux (compared to the .dll, like you specified), but I need to go deeper within Linux and grasp its soul...

Can you believe that my girlfriend bought me a Linux book?

John
Old October 1, 2007, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I know the feeling... same here.

That's where I lack knowledge. I never played with DOS, so the command line interface and its functions are all new to me. I figured the compile aspect of Linux (compared to the .dll, like you specified), but I need to go deeper within Linux and grasp its soul...

Can you believe that my girlfriend bought me a Linux book?

John
Heh... well a knowledge of dos only goes so far.

Directory and file structure commands are similar (It wasn't freaking cap sensitive though!!! :) ), and several of the other commands are close enough that I'll end up typing them first......., but things like chmod are completely alien to me as are the sudo and get functions.

I think I need a book too..... :)

Old October 1, 2007, 06:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, that installation format for FahMon got me up and running!!!!

Pretty damn sweet PPD..... I've gone from aprox. 2060 up to 2360!!!!!!! :)

Now for that shortcut stuff with the chmod crap...... :)

Old October 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And take a look at the CPU utilization and temp: my E6400 is running @ 94%, and running cool at 41C, water-cooled but still @ 3.4Ghz..., instead of 100% and ~50C under Windoze.

Running that FAH instance under Linux is simply amazing and easy to setup.