Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   folding on 3 core / core free for gpu folding (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/27657-folding-3-core-core-free-gpu-folding.html)

phil3_66666 January 11, 2010 04:16 PM

folding on 3 core / core free for gpu folding

Im looking to build a bether folding pc, in pass i fold with cpu only or gpu, now i want to fold with bolt in the same computer but have some question

-i know for ati gpu you need a free core to fold with gpu(if you want some ppd) but does i need to do it with geforce? how many gpu 1 core can handle?

-can vmware fold on 3 core? if i yes 1 core for gpu and have a quad core, can i use all 3 other core to fold or 1 will be here doing nothing? i know you can fold with 7core on i7, so why not 3?

-how many ram i need for bigadv? can i stop bigadv like any other vmware?(when i want to game..)

Thanks for your help
Phil

3.0charlie January 11, 2010 04:20 PM

1. with ATI, you need 1 core for the folding GPU. With Nvidia, you can fold on 4 Cores and adjust the affinity and priority to allow folding on CPU and GPU
2. Vmware Notfred can fold on 2 cores, or 4 cores if I'm not mistaken.
3. 6gb minimum for bigadv + ramdrive, you sure can stop the client. But for bigadv, you need a quad core CPU with HT as a minimum.

phil3_66666 January 11, 2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 316070)
1. with ATI, you need 1 core for the folding GPU. With Nvidia, you can fold on 4 Cores and adjust the affinity and priority to allow folding on CPU and GPU
2. Vmware Notfred can fold on 2 cores, or 4 cores if I'm not mistaken.
3. 6gb minimum for bigadv + ramdrive, you sure can stop the client. But for bigadv, you need a quad core CPU with HT as a minimum.

im suposed to get my i7 today(not at home to confirm...) so i will be back to 8 thread soon, but if vmware can only fold on 2 or 4 core, who people fold on 7 with bigadv?

what is a ramdrive?

Lamb January 11, 2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil3_66666 (Post 316082)
what is a ramdrive?

I'm wondering too ...

EDIT : Experiment - Ram Drive + F@H - [H]ard|Forum

Looks great actually, I'd need more ram to use this tho...:whistle:

3.0charlie January 11, 2010 04:51 PM

bigadv has a huge bonus plan if you complete the WU in advance. The points are 25k, and my rig has around 56k points per WU.
Ramdrive allows you to use a section of the ram as a HDD, which allows for faster computation.

The guide: VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding

You need 6Gb minimum for ramdrive. I'm doing it on my secondary rig now.

phil3_66666 January 11, 2010 04:57 PM

to be sure, ramdrive is software? so with 8gb of ram im ok for bigadv + ramdrive?

Lamb January 11, 2010 04:59 PM

I'll see if I can create a ramdisk of ~300mb since I have ~1Gb leftover...

3.0charlie January 11, 2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil3_66666 (Post 316087)
to be sure, ramdrive is software? so with 8gb of ram im ok for bigadv + ramdrive?

Yes, it is software. But why 8Gb with an i7?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamb (Post 316090)
I'll see if I can create a ramdisk of ~300mb since I have ~1Gb leftover...

Won't work. The minimum ram drive that will work is about 4Gb. When you create the Vm, you need to set the memory usage to 5Gb to fold properly. That's how it works fine for me.

phil3_66666 January 11, 2010 05:04 PM

because it's i7 860..

again to be sure, so 9gb is needed for folding + ramdrive?

but i can still do bigadv without ramdrive right?

quesque je ferai sen charlie pour réponde a tout mes question stupide sur le folding:whistle:

Lamb January 11, 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 316091)
Won't work. The minimum ram drive that will work is about 4Gb. When you create the Vm, you need to set the memory usage to 5Gb to fold properly. That's how it works fine for me.

I put my GPU clients on it :bleh: worked purrrrfectly ;)

took ~1 minute to setup lol...

Maybe someday I'll buy a 2nd kit of dominators...who knows :rofl:

Merci pour la trouvaille :thumb: