Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 12:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default UPS's for folding

So I'm wondering what ppl are using (if at all) for their folding rigs/farms as far as UPS's are concerned.

My Quad-gx2 rig is running on 2 APC 1500xs's, One psu for the mobo and 2 cards (this one also has an extra battery pack for extended runtime) and the other running 2 cards and all the fans.

At home I somehow stumbled onto a gem (i think) of a UPS unit that I cant for the life of me find anymore of. Its a Compaq 3000r, 3000va unit but has a regular run of the mill household input plug. Everything I find on ebay these days has the twist-lock 30amp plug. This unit currently powers my home theater and desktop rig (when its operational) I'm thinking of picking up a few more of the 1500xs units with the battery packs (br24bp) to use on the home theater so I can free up the behemoth for folding rigs....

I'd love to hear what the power hungry rigs you guys run are powered with, and if anyone has a line on a 3000va that plug into household 15a plugs let me know.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 7, 2010, 05:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Haven't come across a 3000Va that runs off of 15a yet, but when I get home I'll get the models. I have 1 Ultra UPS, 1 Cyberpower , and 1 APC.

And last year when the world fell apart and a storm came, my APC saved my folding rig, at the cost of itself hehehe.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

I run a pair of APC 1200 rs'.

My main rig runs on one , my network and secondary run off the other.....I think the one that runs my main rig is having issues though so I may buy another.

You will not find a 3000 va model that plugs into a standard outlet...standard outlets are rated 110-120 VAC at 15 amps.

Old January 7, 2010, 07:43 AM
Banned
F@H

couple small units for secondary puters, 1000va's batteries went so looking for a replacement.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I actually use the cheap little Opti AVRs for most of my folding rigs. Power protection is more important than uptime on my dedicated folding rigs. On my non-dedicated rigs though, I have 3 x APC 1300VA, 2 x Belkin 1200VA and 2 x Ultra 2000VA. The Ultras are new and I haven't yet had a chance to really test them out.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Banned
F@H

when i was in toronto i had found a place selling reconditioned apc's...i kinda lost their number lol but they were really cheap.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
when i was in toronto i had found a place selling reconditioned apc's...i kinda lost their number lol but they were really cheap.
Not sure if that's something I would buy used. Even to save big $$$$.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Not sure if that's something I would buy used. Even to save big $$$$.
bought a pallet, came to 30 or so dollars each(1000va). only kept one for meself lol. even if it was 50 bucks a piece, totallly worth it.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
You will not find a 3000 va model that plugs into a standard outlet...standard outlets are rated 110-120 VAC at 15 amps.

Thats the impression I get, I'm sure it has to do with not enough juice capable of coming down that pipe. So either I've got some lesser model that looks identical to a 3000va one, or somebody (hopefuly qualified) modified the cable for home use possible limiting its true va rating now.... I'm just too lazy to turn the damn thing around and investigate further, its full of things plugged in and it weighs 160lbs.

Have an A-1 day!
Old January 7, 2010, 10:07 AM
Banned
F@H

what if you bust your home circuit lol?

got anything that can measure what its pulling from the wall?