Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2009, 04:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Update: Running stable with the exception of GPU #3 (the EVGA non-SC model with the older llittle 10K RPM fan). It crapped out several times with EUEs, even when backing the overclock a bit several times. For now it's left at stock clocks until I can figure it out. Seems 100% stable at default core/shader clock speeds for now, so hopefully the card isn't on its way out.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
I would have done that in a heartbeat, but the tech station only allows single slot cards in the bottom most slot. I'd have to modify the post in order for that to happen. None the less, the temps are holding below 60 degrees on all four cards, so I'm happy leaving it as-is for now
Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I've just got a motherboard tray slapped onto the top of a bottom mount tech station so I don't have the same problem.

Looks great though... certainly a conversation piece for folks who visit during the holidays.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 22, 2009, 04:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I would have done that in a heartbeat, but the tech station only allows single slot cards in the bottom most slot. I'd have to modify the post in order for that to happen. None the less, the temps are holding below 60 degrees on all four cards, so I'm happy leaving it as-is for now
I did that mod a while back when I was folding with the 4 GX2s.

Old December 22, 2009, 04:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Update: Running stable with the exception of GPU #3 (the EVGA non-SC model with the older llittle 10K RPM fan). It crapped out several times with EUEs, even when backing the overclock a bit several times. For now it's left at stock clocks until I can figure it out. Seems 100% stable at default core/shader clock speeds for now, so hopefully the card isn't on its way out.
#3 seems to be directly underneath the fan hubs, could be creating a dead-spot causing the EUE's. It's temp does seem to be a few degrees warmer than the others.

Folding seems to heat up areas of a GPU not always reflected by the observed temp.

Old December 22, 2009, 04:28 PM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I did that mod a while back when I was folding with the 4 GX2s.
Very nice! That would certainly work. I was thinking of creating a bracket to simply hold the post an inch off of the tech station so that I wouldn't have to loose the expansion slot bar as well. It's doing fine as-is so I think I'll just leave it.

What was the PPD like for four GX2s btw?
Old December 22, 2009, 04:30 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Over 70k ppd.

I cut the crossbar to match the width of the GPUs, since the hole in the right post was gone after trimming.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:31 PM
F@H

Good points.

The third card does run hotter due to the earlier revision HSF and smaller diameter fan, unfortunately. I might try to put it in the last slot just to see if it makes a difference. The previous owner replaced stock TIM with AS5 as well. I might take the HSF off to ensure good contact. Might be some bunched up thermal tape or something under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
#3 seems to be directly underneath the fan hubs, could be creating a dead-spot causing the EUE's. It's temp does seem to be a few degrees warmer than the others.

Folding seems to heat up areas of a GPU not always reflected by the observed temp.
Old December 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post

even if core,mem and pcb temps report ok, unless you fire a heat..sensor..camera thing at it you wont be able to pinpoint wich chippie warms up a bit too much. and causes unstable voltages, for ex.