Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 07:55 AM
martin_metal_88's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 4,175

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well...you can have a 'farm in a box' if you do your math. folks are going hard for i7 oc+bigadv or whatever ya call em. us ole fashion folks probably still looking for as many gpus as possible. some dude was selling a huge arse box, the size of a small kitchen table lol. hell drop 2 boards 4pci-e slots in there and 8 highly clocked gt/gts's and you got yourself...hmm...*does the math.....i say a good 40-45k ppd single box. that you can also use as a kitchen table of course :D
if i make it to toronto i might as well pick that monster up :D
The point Dangtx is that...isn't she wonderfull to shiw us all she have? I like computer bard and open bench but I have never really done it myself. Now it's time.
__________________
Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,613

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well...you can have a 'farm in a box' if you do your math. folks are going hard for i7 oc+bigadv or whatever ya call em. us ole fashion folks probably still looking for as many gpus as possible. some dude was selling a huge arse box, the size of a small kitchen table lol. hell drop 2 boards 4pci-e slots in there and 8 highly clocked gt/gts's and you got yourself...hmm...*does the math.....i say a good 40-45k ppd single box. that you can also use as a kitchen table of course :D
if i make it to toronto i might as well pick that monster up :D
To be correct, us bigadv folders are the old fashion folks. We still use the Smp client, where as the GPU client is newer.

I've had a few farms, being CPU farms (Q6600s x3: 12k ppd), GPU farms (GX2s and others: 60k+ ppd) and now this bigadv farm (my main rig: 55k ppd). PPD vs. babysitting vs. cost (hardware + operating)? I'll take the bigadv farm anytime.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 11:09 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
PPD vs. babysitting vs. cost (hardware + operating)? I'll take the bigadv farm anytime.
Not to mention power consumption and heat. A -bigadv box uses significantly less power than the equivalent number of GPUs required to produce the same amount of PPD.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

power and heat convinces me. initial cost of i7 cpu+adeguate mobo kinda doesnt appeal to me cheep self :D
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 03:12 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
power and heat convinces me. initial cost of i7 cpu+adeguate mobo kinda doesnt appeal to me cheep self :D
When we discussed this in another thread recently (don't remember which one), I calculated that the initial cost of an i7 rig is not much different from a rig based around a cheap CPU and motherboard with a bunch of GPUs, and has the added advantage of more future expandability.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
chrisk's Avatar
Folding Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 7,400

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Not to mention power consumption and heat. A -bigadv box uses significantly less power than the equivalent number of GPUs required to produce the same amount of PPD.
I ditched my 9800GTX+ and replaced it with an i7 setup (I kept GTS 250 that was also in the rig). The new setup used less watts according to my UPS, and got me an extra ~15K ppd...
__________________
Fold for team #54196
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 2,026
Default

Folding 24/7, what lasts longer, gpu or cpu?

Sorry to continue off topic.
__________________
"What is the colour when black is burnt ?" - Neil Young
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 03:32 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I ditched my 9800GTX+ and replaced it with an i7 setup (I kept GTS 250 that was also in the rig). The new setup used less watts according to my UPS, and got me an extra ~15K ppd...
Precisely my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Folding 24/7, what lasts longer, gpu or cpu?
CPU, no question about it.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 04:00 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

id have to agree with zero based on past experience, but if the gu is properly cooled, i.e. is kept within 50-70 or so pct of the max 24/7 working temp, then i guess itll be good to go for a while too, of course as long as well as the components are up to it.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old December 22, 2009, 04:08 PM
lemonlime's Avatar
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Posts: 530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Why not slap the 250 into the last slot then?
I would have done that in a heartbeat, but the tech station only allows single slot cards in the bottom most slot. I'd have to modify the post in order for that to happen. None the less, the temps are holding below 60 degrees on all four cards, so I'm happy leaving it as-is for now
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log: CPINTS Cool Practical IKIKUINTHENUTZized NAVIG Tech Station IKIKUINTHENUTZ Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 20 September 19, 2009 12:30 PM
Water Cooled Tech Station chibi_man Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery 88 July 31, 2008 04:34 PM
High Speed PC Tech Station Review Discussion Thread Misoprostol Cases 10 July 8, 2007 01:45 PM
HighSpeed PC 'Top Deck' Tech Station review by TechPowerUp! Babrbarossa Reviews & Articles from the Web 0 May 23, 2007 09:44 AM