Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2009, 05:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default New System Lag

It seems up until a day or two ago that my system ran fine folding on 2 gpus and cpu folding. I could message people, watch a movie, use firefox etc, but now all thats changed and i dont know why. I've checked task manager and nothing new is running, i haven't changed the drivers (though i did now, and i still get the same problem). My system will lag if i am running the 2 GPU folding clients (doesn't matter if i winafc started or not or if i am even cpu folding or not). Anyone got an idea besides window's crapped the bed and i need to reformat to fix it?
Old December 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It seems up until a day or two ago that my system ran fine folding on 2 gpus and cpu folding. I could message people, watch a movie, use firefox etc, but now all thats changed and i dont know why. I've checked task manager and nothing new is running, i haven't changed the drivers (though i did now, and i still get the same problem). My system will lag if i am running the 2 GPU folding clients (doesn't matter if i winafc started or not or if i am even cpu folding or not). Anyone got an idea besides window's crapped the bed and i need to reformat to fix it?
Sounds to me like a memory leak in something you're using every day. Have you tried a reboot to see if that fixes it?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

First thing i tried, no dice. It seems sometimes like the drivers themselves fail as i've seen at times (when i woke up this morning) that the ppd on each card half-ed what it should have been and had to restart my computer to get it back up
Old December 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

what cores were/are you running? ;)
Old December 13, 2009, 05:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't matter the cores, 353s, 787s, 1888s, all the same problem
Old December 13, 2009, 06:03 PM
Banned
F@H

hmm..altough i did have by mistake 2 gpu clients running on the one 8800gt, i didnt see the lags id used to see with me 640 meg g80 core.
Old December 13, 2009, 10:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
First thing i tried, no dice. It seems sometimes like the drivers themselves fail as i've seen at times (when i woke up this morning) that the ppd on each card half-ed what it should have been and had to restart my computer to get it back up
I noticed that when I OC'ed my gpu(260) Shader clock to 1500MHz, After a day or two my point would drop to half and EVGA Precision would show my Shader clock had dropped to 700-800MHz and the Core Clock went from 626MHz ( Stock)to 400MHz. I had to restart my PC to get the Shader clock and core clock back to normal. , After it happened a few times, I would know when it happened because Videos would be glitchy and webpages would load slow when the GPU f**K up. What does EVGA Precision show (Shader clock, Core clock)when your points drop? Is it the same as when everything is fine? I dropped my Shader clock to 1450 and it fine now.If you have OC'ed your Shader clock I would try backing it down just a bit
Old December 14, 2009, 07:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It shows the correct amount when i am folding, however i just woke up this morning to find the ppd output of one of my gpus to be 74 and the other to be 172, so unless i can fix this without having to reformat (i have a feeling its a windows thing) i wont be folding on my gpus until i get back from the xmas break since i don't have the time or desired to nuke and pave on exam week
Old December 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm looking into this.

Some questions :

What drivers ?
What are your current 'power saving' settings ?
Do you use a screensaver ?

Go through your Fahlog , and try to find when the slowdown occurs.

also , goto your Nvidia control panel>manage 3d settings....make sure it's set to 'performance' ......other settings can downclock the gpu....

I'll keep digging.
Old December 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

In the Task Manager what are your priority's set at for your VMware. My VMware Client was at one point putting the Priority to normal on its own every time it got a new WU and that would really mess up the points on the GPU (260 216 was getting 500-1000ppd). I`m not sure how I fixed it. Every 6 months or so my brother up dates my PC ( OP, Hardware, Drivers. Ect...) So I dont even know what OP I was running when it was f**king up, Windows XP I think, Maybe Vista. Now I have Windows 7. If it is your Priority`s I think their is a way to make sure they stay the way you want them but I`m not sure how