Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2009, 06:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can't setup SMP client

Hey guys,

I've been trying to setup the SMP after seeing it was much more productive than my 4 'standard' clients (if configured correctly I'm guessing...)

As you can see on the pic I added at the bottom, I'm at the configuration part where I should be typing 'F@H6 -configonly -smp' to prompt the configuration menu, but nothings happen. (I renamed the Folding at Home-SMP-x86.exe (or something like that...) to F@H6 (instead of FAH6 like in the exemple)

Why nothing happens?
Attached Images

Old December 9, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah you're configuring it the hard way. Since you have a Core i7, why not run the -bigadvmethods using VMware?

VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding
Old December 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting...I'll try this! Thanks!
Old December 9, 2009, 07:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Installed all the required stuff;

I'm at the step 8 of your link where I typed FAH as FAH login and FAH1234 as the password...

followed by Linux 2.6.31.6
No mail.
root@FAH:~# *what do I type here? :S *

EDIT : ok lol...noob on my part, I thought the ''.'' was there as an exemple to use without the ''.''

Geez working for 7 hours straight on my tommorow oral presentation really melted my brain...

EDIT : Seems to be working so far...don't know if it's actually working tho! Well see *crosses fingers*

Last edited by Lamb; December 9, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 08:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just to make sure, seems like -bigadv -smp 7 were already flagged but while configurating the client I put them again, now the client's flags are : -bigadv -smp 7 -verbosity 9 -bigadv -smp 7. Double flags won't cancel each other, will they? :P
Old December 9, 2009, 08:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Just to make sure, seems like -bigadv -smp 7 were already flagged but while configurating the client I put them again, now the client's flags are : -bigadv -smp 7 -verbosity 9 -bigadv -smp 7. Double flags won't cancel each other, will they? :P
Make sure of the following before you try the bigadv units:
Quote:
Bonus point requirements

1) At least 10 Core A2 work units must be completed. (1920 or 25403 pt units qualify)
2) At least 80% of Core A2 work units must be completed in time.
3) A passkey must be used.
If you know what these are..great!!! If not, ask and we will help you.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 9, 2009, 09:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If you know what these are..great!!! If not, ask and we will help you.
I'm clueless about these things

So what are these Core A2 and the passkey that is required?

Last edited by Lamb; December 9, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The bigadv units are a special program, and can give you lots of points. But they only want them run on machines that have proven themselves as reliable folding rigs. The bigadv units are very stressful on a machine, and lots of ram and cpu resources are required.

Quote:
3) A passkey must be used.
For this reason, Stanford requires that you use a passkey, with more info found here:
v.6 FAQ

The passkey will have to be entered into all your clients, including any GPU folding clients you have set up. This ensures that you and your computers are submitting the results.

Quote:
At least 10 Core A2 work units must be completed.
These are linux folding units. If you have been doing the vmware stuff, then you have been doing these. You need to do 10 work units using linux/vmware with the passkey, in order to get the full benefit of the bigadv units. Also, you need to have completed 80% of these units on time to qualify for the points (ie. if you download 10 work units, and complete 9 in time, you are good...if you downloaded 11 and completed 8 in time, then no).

As I mentioned, the bigadv units are stressful, and can take 2-3 days to do. If you qualify for the bonus points, the points rewards are huge (about 20,000PPD on one i7, vs. ~8000 without the bonus). You are better off doing regular 'linux' work units with a passkey first, before doing bigadv since the regular units can be done much quicker than the 2-3 day bigadv ones.

Have you ever set up a vmware client?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 9, 2009, 09:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I already played with VMware at school, set'd up clients here but removed since they wouldnt work, but now this client Geokilla seems to work good (pushes my CPU @ ~90-95%) so I don't think it's anything too hard anyways, going into computer science next september (hope so!) I better get used to VMware

But treat me as a noob for now

Got a passkey, hope it works.

Last edited by Lamb; December 9, 2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You can use the setup that was linked for you earlier here:
VMware 3.0 && bigadv folding

However, in step 9, you are instructed to do the following:
Quote:
Start fah6 with this command in the virtual machine:

./fah6 -bigadv -smp 7
I bolded the '-bigadv' flag. You should not enter this, until you get the 10 work units done with a 'vmware' based client like the one you are setting up here. Instead, enter the command like this:
Quote:
Start fah6 with this command in the virtual machine:

./fah6 -advmethods -smp 7
This way, you will get the regular smaller units. When you get 10 done, replace the '-advmethods' with '-bigadv'. I also used '-smp 8' instead.
Fold for team #54196