Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2009, 05:07 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding with Hyper-V

Hi all,

Been trying Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V out for a while, studying for MCTS exams, and wondered if Notfred's client would run on Hyper-V. This is the end result:

The Hyper-V folders are running on a Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz with Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bits. I assigned 2 CPU's to each VM and the rig is also folding with a GTX 260 in Windows. This is how you can get it running:

1. Follow the procedure described for the VMWare clients by zlojack (Boost Your PPD with VMWare - Look inside for easy guides!) and get it running (You can't reconfigure clients on Hyper-V... Still haven't figured out why )

2. Convert to VHD using VMDKtoVHD Converter (Files: VMDK(VMWare) to VHD Converter)

3. Create a new VM on Hyper-V with no networking and use the VHD created in step 2 as Virtual hard disk

4. Go in the VM's Settings and add a Legacy Network Adapter to the VM

Et voilà
Old December 8, 2009, 04:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Looks interesting, is there an advantage to running it this way?.

Have you tried running all four cores in one VM?, there seems to be a decent PPD increase due to eliminating the overhead from the extra VM...

Old December 9, 2009, 06:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

No, I haven't yet. I'll try that when I get a chance. I was just trying this out since I had Hyper-V running on it already and didn't want multiple VM software on the same rig.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I did the change today to 1 VM running 4 CPU's and I've gained about 10%. Now, my Q6600 is worth about 5000 PPD.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Now, I have a quick question. I've been reading everywhere about the bigadv wu: What are those? Is it worth enabling on my VM if I assign RAM to it?
Old December 15, 2009, 05:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doup93 View Post
Now, I have a quick question. I've been reading everywhere about the bigadv wu: What are those? Is it worth enabling on my VM if I assign RAM to it?
BigADV is a special WU that takes a day or more to complete. Apparently it's equivalent to 10 1920 point SMP WUs.

BigAdv will only run on a machine that has enough cores to finish them in time. Generally 7 or 8 i7 cores are required, so it may not be unless you have one that can virtualize at least 7 cores under Hyper-V. An I7 has 4 physical cores with 4 virtual cores that can run parallel threads giving it 8 virtual cores in total, and that's why it's pretty much the minimum system to run BigADV.