Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thumbs down Points Recredit part2; What A Mess

Looks like the problems with the stats server crash were worse than we thought. While Stanford had stated that all the missing points would be recredited manually, thats not what happened.

It turns out the server crash was the worst in Stanfords history and all the data linking the WU's to whomever Folded them was lost, so they Guesstimated.

Luckily the science itself was not lost which is the most important thing, but still, what a mess.

From a post made by Prof. Pande to explain and offer an apology in this thread on the F@H forums; Folding Forum • View topic - Is it just me or are the Stats not updating?[Nov 12 problem]

Quote:
I just wanted to give some info here. The recredit is finished. As noted in my blog, this one was much tricker than ever before, since (for the first time in almost 10 years) the flaw was in the stats server itself. During the time that the stats server was down, we did receive the completed WUs (the scientific data on the work servers) but we lost the data that associates that PRCG with the donor who uploaded it. For this reason, we had to statistically estimate, based on previous WUs, what the lost WUs were. Our thinking was that an approximation, based on the data we had, was better than no credit at all. However, this clearly has limitations and flaws and couldn't go as smoothly as previous stats recredits had in the past.

The issues with that server prompted me to upgrade the hardware (it's fairly old now -- over 5 years old) and the switch over to new hardware will help prevent this particular issue from happening again. I'm sorry for the problems here; I understand how critical points are to how FAH works and it pains me to see this sort of problem associated with FAH. However, we did the best we could with the data we had and have a plan to try to avoid this particular flaw from happening in the future, although it will take some time for new hardware to come and for us to transition over. My hope is that this will be completed some time in January 2010.

I'm very sorry for the hassles and problems here. Unfortunately, there isn't any more we can do about this incident, other than make plans to work to avoid this particular problem from happening again.
Hopefully they get it upgraded quickly...

Old December 2, 2009, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Like you said, most importantly the information/completed work units were not lost and only the points were.
Old December 2, 2009, 07:33 PM
Banned
F@H

"Luckily the science itself was not lost which is the most important thing," :

long term it shouldnt dislodge anyone from their thrones ..im thinking :) :)

:canadia nwave:

Old December 2, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah well, I guess that their recovery did not work too well for me, I got a bit less than 20% of what I lost if I remember right. As you said, at least the WUs weren't lsot.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good that the WUs were not lost, but this was at the height of our last points drive during our contest so you can be assured that as a team, we lost out here.

Maybe our battle with TPU caused this lol
Fold for team #54196
Old December 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Bit of a silver lining in this.....

Quote:
The issues with that server prompted me to upgrade the hardware (it's fairly old now -- over 5 years old) and the switch over to new hardware will help prevent this particular issue from happening again. I'm sorry for the problems here; I understand how critical points are to how FAH works and it pains me to see this sort of problem associated with FAH. However, we did the best we could with the data we had and have a plan to try to avoid this particular flaw from happening in the future, although it will take some time for new hardware to come and for us to transition over. My hope is that this will be completed some time in January 2010.
Finally some recognition that the points system is a strong motivator in the success of FAH. Too many times it seems like constructive complaints / critisism about problems with the points system fall on deaf ears.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's so true Steven! I mean, when you think about the popularity of FAH compared to other DC projects, why has it done so well? The success of the project owes MUCH to the competitive nature of it.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 3, 2009, 08:32 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
It's so true Steven! I mean, when you think about the popularity of FAH compared to other DC projects, why has it done so well? The success of the project owes MUCH to the competitive nature of it.
Lucky for Stanford that while many Folders enjoy the competitive side of Folding, the vast majority are in it for the science not the points.

"They send it, we Fold it" will only go so far though. Look what happened around here last year when there were so many problems with the GPU client (1.17 I think), a lot of folks switched over to Rosetta which was alot easier to set-up, not to mention stable.

On another topic, how do you like that WS-SC board, not many people have it and I haven't been able to find anything in the way of reviews yet. I haven't taken the time to tweak mine much yet but hopefully soon...

Old December 3, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I lost at least 6K of points, and didn't get any recredit.
Old December 3, 2009, 11:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Lucky for Stanford that while many Folders enjoy the competitive side of Folding, the vast majority are in it for the science not the points.

"They send it, we Fold it" will only go so far though. Look what happened around here last year when there were so many problems with the GPU client (1.17 I think), a lot of folks switched over to Rosetta which was alot easier to set-up, not to mention stable.

On another topic, how do you like that WS-SC board, not many people have it and I haven't been able to find anything in the way of reviews yet. I haven't taken the time to tweak mine much yet but hopefully soon...
I've always run whatever the system threw at me even when there were systemic problems with certain WUs.

What I didn't appreciate was the long-standing attitude that problems with the points system weren't affecting their bottom line WRT production. They didn't seem to understand that many folks were dumping low PPD WUs (especially long-running ones), or that things like inaction on FAHbots were turning people to other projects.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Tags
f@h , folding , points , recredit , stanford