Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2009, 04:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default SMP2 Core Progress Update - Some Will Have Bonus Plan

Prof. Pande just updated his blog with info on the new SMP2 core which will use a new thread-based parallelization approach to replace MPI.
Quote:
We are excited to announce progress in our testing of new SMP2 cores. These cores use threads-based parallelization instead of MPI and, we hope, should be much more robust than our first-generation SMP cores.
The SMP2 cores are currently in testing; watch for future announcements regarding their release. The first SMP2 core to be released will be a Gromacs-based core with core number A3. In conjunction with this release, we are implementing some updates to our points benchmarking system. In particular, we will use early-completion bonuses, which we have been testing with the bigadv work unit program, more extensively for SMP2 cores.
Looks like the Windows SMP2 might be getting the Stanford Bonus Plan on some WU's.

Checking the Project Summary page (Folding@Home) shows some of the new A3 units already listed including one with a 3.36x bonus...

Old December 1, 2009, 04:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Dammit, you list this the same day my rig finally completed its 1st bigadv WU under a native Linux OS... what will the ppd be like under Windows?
Old December 1, 2009, 04:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice, is it live? Or we still gonna be waiting a bit?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 1, 2009, 04:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Dammit, you list this the same day my rig finally completed its 1st bigadv WU under a native Linux OS... what will the ppd be like under Windows?
Timing is everything, just think how much you've learned about Linux doing it this way...

As for the ppd, I haven't found any info on that yet but it has to be an improvement.

A new SMP core with Bonus Plan would make one heck of a Christmas present for us windows Folder's...

@ ST; It's not live yet but if the Prof. is mentioning it in his blog like that there is a good chance we might get it this decade...

Old December 1, 2009, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ugg... this is both good and bad news, good that i may not have to run vmware, bad because i dunno what the hell is screwing up my OC...!
Old December 1, 2009, 05:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Did you get both cpus going at 100%?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 1, 2009, 05:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Ya Man.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Actually, he specifically said that they will be using an early-completion bonus system, so there's no ifs involved (which certainly sounds good to me). I suspect that we'll see SMP2 sometime next year, probably early on.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Also looks like GPU3 will be released soon too:
Folding Forum • View topic - Question related to GPU3

The Pande says its weeks away. I wonder if that is human weeks, or Stanford weeks? Exciting stuff....I wonder how ATI will work.....
Fold for team #54196
Old December 1, 2009, 05:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Actually, he specifically said that they will be using an early-completion bonus system, so there's no ifs involved (which certainly sounds good to me). I suspect that we'll see SMP2 sometime next year, probably early on.
With Stanford there is always an ' If ' involved, if not in the implementation then in the execution. Hope springs eternal, hopefully we won't be waiting much longer.

I'm certainly looking forward to it as I run windows smp on both my Q's.
Quote:
Ya Man.
Since you finally got it working without it, Sun just released an update for VirtualBox that they promise gives an 30% performance boost according to the article on DailyTech DailyTech - VirtualBox Virtualizaton Software from Sun Gets Update...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Also looks like GPU3 will be released soon too:
Folding Forum • View topic - Question related to GPU3

The Pande says its weeks away. I wonder if that is human weeks, or Stanford weeks? Exciting stuff....I wonder how ATI will work.....
Notice how his response ends "...assuming we don't find any serious flaws."

Tags
early-completion bonus , f@h , folding@home , smp , smp2