Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Drop 2 Clients, and add the -smp flag to the other two. That should do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.
Update when they are done lol!
ST
You know, you can get away with 1 VM Client now that VM Ware Player 3.0 supports 4+ cores. My i7, running 8 cores, used to be running 2 VMs until just yesterday. You may or may not see a PPD boost, though I think you would as reducing the number of running VMs always boosted my PPD overall usually by about 15-25%. For instance, I was only able to run 3 VMs (at 2 cores per) on my i7 and got about 5600-7000PPD, dropping to 2 VMs (at 4 cores per) earned me around 8800 PPD, and the current client I'm running (1 VM at 8 cores per) is earning more again.

However, what you will definitely notice is an increase in response of your computer. 4 VMs open is pretty taxing and 4 VMs on my i7 with 6GBs of RAM was unusable. 2VMs, and now the current setup I'm running have increased computer usuability exponentially.

Its worth the try. The way I do it is to not overwrite or delete the current VMs I'm using when I try something new. If I don't like the new thing I'm trying, its easy to switch back to the old.

Lots of good information in this thread, btw.
Old December 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
You know, you can get away with 1 VM Client now that VM Ware Player 3.0 supports 4+ cores. My i7, running 8 cores, used to be running 2 VMs until just yesterday. You may or may not see a PPD boost, though I think you would as reducing the number of running VMs always boosted my PPD overall usually by about 15-25%. For instance, I was only able to run 3 VMs (at 2 cores per) on my i7 and got about 5600-7000PPD, dropping to 2 VMs (at 4 cores per) earned me around 8800 PPD, and the current client I'm running (1 VM at 8 cores per) is earning more again.

However, what you will definitely notice is an increase in response of your computer. 4 VMs open is pretty taxing and 4 VMs on my i7 with 6GBs of RAM was unusable. 2VMs, and now the current setup I'm running have increased computer usuability exponentially.

Its worth the try. The way I do it is to not overwrite or delete the current VMs I'm using when I try something new. If I don't like the new thing I'm trying, its easy to switch back to the old.

Lots of good information in this thread, btw.
AFAIK he was/is running 4 windows uniprocessor clients not VM's which is why it was suggested he step-up to the SMP client. We will work on coaxing him up to the VM's after that .

Alot of us are already using the new 3.0 VMplayer and are moving up to the -bigadv units .

Glad you found the info useful, anything to help a fellow Folder.

Say hi to the folks at tPU, we'll be seeing you soon...

Old December 7, 2009, 01:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll eventually get to the Point of VMware players, we shall see. As everyone says, the choice is ultimately mine to make on which one to run on my computer.
I'll try (they should be done by 9pm tonight folding) doing the SMP flag on two clients and see where it gets me. Beyond that I don't know just yet.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 7, 2009, 01:38 PM
Allstar

Ah yea, my bad. I'd assumed VM clients. I'd probably hold out if I were you, seeming how they're expecting SMP2. VM Ware is fun and I definitely learned alot, but it has its own set of issues as well as the time required to learn it. Anyways, hope you get a points upgrade with your current clients.
Old December 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Say hi to the folks at tPU, we'll be seeing you soon...
I will have a Christmas present for all you Canucks courtesy of Team TPU and myself. It will materialize in approximately 48 hours (hint, hint)

BTW, Way to fold guys
Old December 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmali View Post
I will have a Christmas present for all you Canucks courtesy of Team TPU and myself. It will materialize in approximately 48 hours (hint, hint)

BTW, Way to fold guys
Haha me too. I got me a couple of i7s running bigadvs that at at 70%+ done...
Fold for team #54196

Tags
early-completion bonus , f@h , folding@home , smp , smp2