Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2009, 07:25 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'm running at 3.4GHZ. TPF is about 40mins. My effective PPD on that cpu alone is 19,000PPD. Hopefully those frames speed up when I get that cpu under water.

Seriously thinking of upgrading the folding rig to an i7 too. That would give me ~40,000PPD on my CPUs alone. I am thinking that household circuit can handle this if I sell my 9800GTX+ and just ran the GTS 250 in the folding rig until Fermi arrives. With two i7 920s (one OC to ~3.4-3.6, other to ~4.0), and two GTX 285s, and one GTS 250, I should be good for ~63,000PPD without any sig power increase in my house over now. I am also wondering how much extra PPD I can get out of those 285s under water....moar PPD!!!

Any word on how long the bigadv bonus plan will last?
Fold for team #54196
Old December 5, 2009, 08:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I'm running at 3.4GHZ. TPF is about 40mins. My effective PPD on that cpu alone is 19,000PPD. Hopefully those frames speed up when I get that cpu under water.

Seriously thinking of upgrading the folding rig to an i7 too. That would give me ~40,000PPD on my CPUs alone. I am thinking that household circuit can handle this if I sell my 9800GTX+ and just ran the GTS 250 in the folding rig until Fermi arrives. With two i7 920s (one OC to ~3.4-3.6, other to ~4.0), and two GTX 285s, and one GTS 250, I should be good for ~63,000PPD without any sig power increase in my house over now. I am also wondering how much extra PPD I can get out of those 285s under water....moar PPD!!!

Mmm, thats some nice PPD, how long does it take for one of those big WU's to finish at that clock speed?. I'm going to have to get another 4GB of ram for the SC sooner than I thought, you're not the only one getting the itch for more PPD.

You should be able to make a nice push for second with that plan .

Just when you think you know what type rig to get for maximum PPD things change again. CPU was king , then the evolution to quads. Everybody starts switching and along comes the GPU2 client and everyone wants multi-gpu farms, now we're back to CPU's that can run the -bigadv WU's. Should be interesting to see what changes the GPU3 and SMP2 cores will bring to the Farmers.

I haven't read anything concerning a possible end-date for the -bigadv bonus, they might just roll it into the new SMP2 core set of WU's as they are supposed to get the bonus plan also...

Old December 5, 2009, 08:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The bigadv calculator (Folding@home Bigadv Bonus Point Calculator) says 2.7 days, which is about right. Interesting to see how the 3.4GHZ to 3.8-4.0GHZ changes things. Without the bonus right now that 3.4GHZ is good for 9200PPD with I thought was good...
Fold for team #54196
Old December 5, 2009, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To give you an idea what 3.8 GHz yields with SLI cards folding is about 21.5k ppd with the bonus. It would be higher if i were to single card fold (as my ppd then was about 24-25k) but it seems that SLI-folding with the priorities of the GPUS set to high and the VMware set to normal causes the drop in tpf to be about 36 mins instead of about 34 mins with a single card.
Old December 5, 2009, 09:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I call Dibs?

LOL.

I don't have the skill in the OC yet nor the cash to get into this league with you guys.
I do however have the case to build multiple cheap GPU dependent Farms lol!
That will have to do until GPU3 and SMP2 come around.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 5, 2009, 09:28 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
The bigadv calculator (Folding@home Bigadv Bonus Point Calculator) says 2.7 days, which is about right. Interesting to see how the 3.4GHZ to 3.8-4.0GHZ changes things. Without the bonus right now that 3.4GHZ is good for 9200PPD with I thought was good...
Looks like I'll have to work on learning how to bump the 860 up a bit, I thought the ~7800 PPD I was getting was good too. Since I'm only at 3.36 GHz I should have lot's of headroom.

The advantage to doing the regular 8-core notfreds was that I could run a couple of cores of Boinc whenever I felt like it, guess I'll have to keep that on the quads after.

@ST; I'm keeping all my GPU's around and might even get another 250, until the new cores come out nobody knows what's going to be the next big thing. Besides, the GPU's do different science then the CPU's and it's all needed, they still keep the old uniprocessor WU's going...

Old December 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Looks like I'll have to work on learning how to bump the 860 up a bit, I thought the ~7800 PPD I was getting was good too. Since I'm only at 3.36 GHz I should have lot's of headroom.

The advantage to doing the regular 8-core notfreds was that I could run a couple of cores of Boinc whenever I felt like it, guess I'll have to keep that on the quads after.

@ST; I'm keeping all my GPU's around and might even get another 250, until the new cores come out nobody knows what's going to be the next big thing. Besides, the GPU's do different science then the CPU's and it's all needed, they still keep the old uniprocessor WU's going...

Oh yeah , keeping the GPU's around. The SMP cores don't get me much but they are fairly simple to setup and fire and forget to be honest.
Mind you I've had to pull one core from Folding. Capped the system resources out on my New rig when I put the GX2 in.
All in all you're right, its the same science for sure. So I don't mind keeping the comps burning the midnight oil. I'm just not in the same league as you guys hahah.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 5, 2009, 09:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Oh yeah , keeping the GPU's around. The SMP cores don't get me much but they are fairly simple to setup and fire and forget to be honest.
Mind you I've had to pull one core from Folding. Capped the system resources out on my New rig when I put the GX2 in.
All in all you're right, its the same science for sure. So I don't mind keeping the comps burning the midnight oil. I'm just not in the same league as you guys hahah.

ST
How many SMP's are you running, I just run one on my quads and set the cpu usage to 98% max. If it's the Q9550 in your sig you shouldn't have to pull a core to run the gpu's.

If it is the Q9550 they are very easy to OC, I was leery at first but now have the Q9450 at 3.44 GHz and the Q9550 at 3.65 GHz. It makes a big difference, and they are full Folding stable and get switched over to Boinc quite often with-out losing a WU...

Old December 6, 2009, 06:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
How many SMP's are you running, I just run one on my quads and set the cpu usage to 98% max. If it's the Q9550 in your sig you shouldn't have to pull a core to run the gpu's.

If it is the Q9550 they are very easy to OC, I was leery at first but now have the Q9450 at 3.44 GHz and the Q9550 at 3.65 GHz. It makes a big difference, and they are full Folding stable and get switched over to Boinc quite often with-out losing a WU...
THe Primary Rig with the Q9550 Runs 4 SMP Clients atm. But only 1 GPU so its never given me a problem.

The Seconday Rig with the AM3 965 was running 4 as well with a GTS250 and 9800GT however when i pulled the GTS out and put in the GX2 it was too much for it and I had to turn off one core. Since I've done that its been running perfectly. Both chips will OC nicely and the EP45 board is a dream.
I will OC one day but right now I leave them at stock.

ST

Old December 6, 2009, 07:24 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Gentlemen, the bigadv bonus is exponential. Any slight raise in tpf results in a major drop in bonus. Check it out: Folding@home Bigadv Bonus Point Calculator.

36.00: 22262.07 ppd, 55655.18 points
37.00: 21365.68 ppd, 54897.94 points

For a single minute difference.

Tags
early-completion bonus , f@h , folding@home , smp , smp2