Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2009, 08:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Chipping in money to change the thermostat will be a no-go. There are unionized custodians and approved suppliers that must be dealt with. To get a new thermostat installed will take more than one angry folder.

Once you go to college or university Geo, you will soon fully understand the true meaning of the word ' bureaucracy '....
Fold for team #54196
Old November 23, 2009, 08:55 PM
Banned
F@H

dude get better!!!!
Old November 24, 2009, 07:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i have some potentially good news. I am experimenting with what gives off the most heat while folding and it looks like cpu folding (even big wu if they wont fail on me) appear to change the ambient temp in my room so significantly that i can keep doing that 24/7 (for the time being).
Old November 24, 2009, 12:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Well i have some potentially good news. I am experimenting with what gives off the most heat while folding and it looks like cpu folding (even big wu if they wont fail on me) appear to change the ambient temp in my room so significantly that i can keep doing that 24/7 (for the time being).
Good luck with that, but more importantly with your eyesight.

Unfortunately those baseboard heaters also do a great job of drying out the already dry winter air and you end up with static and dust everywhere.
Old November 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know if this works with baseboard heaters, but put a cup of water near the baseboards or something. As the heat rises, it'll evaporate the water, thus more moisture in the air. I leave a cup of water by the vents so it's not as dry in my room, even though I just use my room for sleeping.

In the worst case scenario, you could buy yourself a cheap humidifier.

I'm surprised GPU doesn't put out as much heat as the CPU...
Old November 24, 2009, 03:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't really have a space for a humidifier and i don't think we're allowed to have those (i know we can't have AC). I was thinking of potentially putting a bowl or cup of water somewhere in the room (maybe near the baseboard but i have very limited space to put stuff) and try to increase the humidity in my room but that kinda goes out the window if my window has to be open to actively cool my room when i fold (or just from the heat from the baseboards).

I have found that CPU folding, at least mine with my heat sink and case fans causes the room ambient temp to go up less then even 1 GTX260 folding.
Old November 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i'm getting some gpu folding in when i can remember to put it on and when its not that hot in my room. If winter finally decides to come here i may be able to fold more then a WU or 2 before shutting down for heat for the rest of the day. Also looking forward to reseating HSF and putting IC7 on it and see how that heats the room folding big wu's.
Old November 27, 2009, 11:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know what your saying man. Just from the other direction. In the USA summer heat is a killer, especially in the southwestern regions.
Winters up there I can easily visualize as being brutal or worse. Lots of people down here shut down everything for the entire summer, or longer in some
areas. Folders are doomed for operating costs, that's for sure. But doing something about it can cost a lot more. I finally put in full central heating and A/C
because its an older house. Never bad in winter but can get pretty nasty in summer, so I guess one could say I did it just for the folding. Helps sleeping a lot too though.
Old November 29, 2009, 07:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well cooler weather for the past at least 24 hours has allowed me to engage both of my gpu's and they've been folding for at least 12 hours. Here's hoping that keeps up so i can bring the cpu back up after IC7 arrives
Old November 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

GPU heat output significantly overshaddows CPU heat output on my all of rigs. That was really quite welcome during the winter but a real killer during the summer. Had to shut down much too often during the day in summer, so I bit the bullit and figured oh well, at the very least I'd sleep better. Made a hell of difference there too plus incresed resale value of the house. Then less than a year later, my job required me to move to colorado and what I bought here already has it. Some lucky bastage in San Diego is all set now.