Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2009, 10:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default NANs detected on GPU

I seem to be getting a lot of these lately. The problem is that if the GPU gets a lot of these, it shuts down. Any ideas on how to fix this? I tried downclocking the shaders and that didn't work.
Old November 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Try increasing your fan's speed, and if that does not work, keep the cards at stock and increase the fan's speeds.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 14, 2009, 09:11 PM
Banned
F@H

if temp is an issue and mr chris here might be onto something. grab everest and show us some gpu temps. or maybe the evga utility :) drop core as much as you can if temps are not an issue(or not)
Old November 15, 2009, 11:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Only time I've ever seen NAN errors along with other misbehavior is when the GPU core got close to 70C so that's definitely be one of the first things I'd look at. Give the GPU cooler and sink a good cleaning if it has been a while since the last one, etc.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've seen NAN errors for a few reasons.... There is a bug, it seems, with Vista and certain AMD chipsets.

Could also be a bad workunit that you keep getting, you are deleting your work folder and the proper associated files?
Old November 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've seen NAN errors for a few reasons.... There is a bug, it seems, with Vista and certain AMD chipsets.

Could also be a bad workunit that you keep getting, you are deleting your work folder and the proper associated files?
You're right on that one, it happens more often than some of us admit to. Hell I've been bitten in the arse more than a few times on that myself. Good call on that one,Perineum. Always dump the entire work folder while you're at it it too. Not just the files within it.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've tried increasing the fan speed and also deleting the work folder, unitinfo, fah_core files and nothing works. I'm also getting a bit annoyed that I got 35 points for 21 WU yesterday. There are no 1 point WU so I don't know what the deal is there.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those are just placeholder points so the Pande Group knows the work was completed. They're still working on the points accounting from when the servers went down - it will be a few days.

Re: the NANs... NAN stands for "not a number" which means the GPU processor produced invalid results for some reason. While heat can contribute to this, the two main causes are either a) bad WU, or b) bad overclock. Note: some cards are not folding stable even at stock speeds, so you can still have a bad overclock with no overclock at all. If you have not overclocked your cards, try underclocking them slightly to see if that helps with stability.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 17, 2009, 08:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply Dead_Things. This card has been folding since I got it about 2 months ago, never had a problem with it until the Stanford had the server problems a couple of days ago.

As for the points, I thought they fixed that and points given out should be normal as of now.
Old November 17, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope - nothing has been fixed yet. They rebooted the servers, but that's about it so far. Believe me, I know - they owe me nearly 300,000 points.

If you clear out your work folder, queue.dat and unitinfo.txt files and do a reboot how long (if at all) will your GPU run before hitting a guarded run error?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!