Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2009, 08:16 PM
Banned
F@H

Default hey guys. psu chosing time

should i get another 850 watter from corsair or antec? or try the new tx950?

bout 30$ difference anyway :p
Old November 13, 2009, 08:35 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

That all depends on what you plan on running off of it and what kind of money you want to spend.
Old November 13, 2009, 08:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Like the man said - depends on what you're planning to run off of it, and perhaps what if any immediate upgrades may have to be factored into it as well. Remember the engineer's golden rule - a PSU produces its cleanest, most stable, and most well regulated power when run at about 65 to 75 % of its normal rated load. Running under that is better than running over it, but too much either way is NOT good, period. There may very well be better choices out there than Enermax, Antec, Sparkle, and Corsair, but those are the ones that have proven the best for me regarding the already mentioned criteria, with reliability leading the pack, and shutting down according to the format ATX-12V standard tied for first place. What good is self-protection shutdown when either the sequencing or timing are far enough off to eat the mobo at the same time anyway. Your choices are good ones 99% of the time so I suspect what you're instigating here is a popularity contest LOL.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:12 PM
Banned
F@H

well itll be 4 cards..probably all gt's so roughly 100 or over watts each. the 850 will do plenty....i think but was wondering if you guys would shell the extra 30$ for the 950 watter.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Going too large has its drawbacks as well. Noisier outputs, a bit less well regulated, sloppier auto-shutdown response.
I think the 850 quite adequate.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:33 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
Going too large has its drawbacks as well. Noisier outputs, a bit less well regulated, sloppier auto-shutdown response.
hmm..ok. guess ill cheep out then :D

Corsair TX950 950W Review

Corsair TX850 Power Supply Review

and im pretty set on the haf 922. looks a bit better than the 590.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
MInd you both are CWT designs, and have amazing regulation and very minimal Noise.
Either one would do it. And the advantage to running higher than needed is you plant the PSU right in its highest effiency range, with less heat and Fan speed.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 13, 2009, 10:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hmm..ok. guess ill cheep out then :D

Corsair TX950 950W Review

Corsair TX850 Power Supply Review

and im pretty set on the haf 922. looks a bit better than the 590.
To be honest, I wouldn't read or trust a PSU review from either of those sources if they paid me to. But you already know my feelings on the PSU subject. If Lee Garbutt says it's ok, then it I'd trust it. Any of the other brands I have not owned, I wouldn't buy. Just the way I am. Reviews from professionally qualified people ONLY, and with the credentials to prove it, but you already know that, and you won't find those kinds of people doing PSU reviews for peanuts or less on enthusiast sites. Not trying to be mean, and I feel sorry for those who view that as arrogant or any of that crap, just being honest, Dan, because you know what I am. The Corsairs should be fine, as should most of the upper level competition. There it is mostly personal preference. I do admit to like the looks of the Corsairs though.
Old November 13, 2009, 10:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't read or trust a PSU review from either of those sources if they paid me to. But you already know my feelings on the PSU subject. If Lee Garbutt says it's ok, then it I'd trust it. Any of the other brands I have not owned, I wouldn't buy. Just the way I am. Reviews from professionally qualified people ONLY, and with the credentials to prove it, but you already know that, and you won't find those kinds of people doing PSU reviews for peanuts or less on enthusiast sites. Not trying to be mean, and I feel sorry for those who view that as arrogant or any of that crap, just being honest, Dan, because you know what I am. The Corsairs should be fine, as should most of the upper level competition. There it is mostly personal preference. I do admit to like the looks of the Corsairs though.
Thats why I listen to my Pops when he drills these things. THey modify ATX PSU's for other uses, and they get put through the Rigors. Much like my old work Used ATX PSU's for power AA Spectrometers. They need to just work, and do it for a long long time.
He's had his Electrical Engineering degree for about 30 years now.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 13, 2009, 10:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
MInd you both are CWT designs, and have amazing regulation and very minimal Noise.
Either one would do it. And the advantage to running higher than needed is you plant the PSU right in its highest effiency range, with less heat and Fan speed.

ST
That's partially true, but not completely. Especially as it pertains to heat generation. Power supplies that produce lots of heat when there should be none of ANY significance are commonplace, even among name brands, yet nobody speaks of that let alone knows the reasons(s) why. xperienced engineers do, its a common design tradeoff between a "proper" design and money-saving design. Not of true significance unless carried to an extreme, but it does happen. As do young engineers who, with the wet ink still dripping from their diplomas, choose incorrectly rated capacitors, then are either at a loss as to why the failure rate is so high, or finding themselves explaining the blunder to their chief,trying to explain why they blow up like the goodyear blimp LOL. Obviously, or should that be hopefully, the chief engineers know, and hopefully will impart that knowledge upon his subordinates.