Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2009, 04:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default F@H montly bandwidth usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
Question about bandwidth usage.

How much does folding use up in a month?

It is set to unlimited but, usage isn't free or unlimited from ISP.

Don't know how to calculate and wouldn't want to go over
The above quote, is the question I asked yesterday in the Rosetta @ Home - Setup Guide thread. I had just finished following it and, that's when I realized that I have no idea on how much bandwidth this app uses. I knew that I might be in trouble there, so I had to find out.

So far, Inik has told me that his rig uses 300mb a day. That is around 9GB a month and way too much for me. Like I said, I don't know how much bandwidth this program uses and, how the capabilities of my computer may play a role in how much it downloads/uploads but, I gotta find out if I am to do this.

Thanks in advance
Old November 8, 2009, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well i just had a look at the bandwidth my gpu client used when sending results and receiving work (task manager.) It sent 72KB, and received 31KB. I of course shut down all other internet accessing programs before it sent. The comp was using about 1KB bandwidth every 30 seconds before and after this test.
The gpu takes usually 1.5h to complete a WU, so 16times a day X 103KB = 1648KB per day. Thats around 50 megs a month. Of course, I just did this spur of the moment, its not an average of several wu upload/downloads.
Does anyone think 50 megs a month sound about right?
Old November 8, 2009, 08:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I Googled it and found this, Does folding use much internet? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old November 8, 2009, 08:39 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Are you wanting to run Folding@Home (F@H) or Rosetta@Home (R@H) as they are two different distributed computing programs.

Folding usually refers to F@H and dosn't use much bandwidth.

Running Rosetta and other Boinc projects is commonly referred to as Crunching to differentiate it from F@H.

In R@H you have the option to choose how long each task is crunched for, changing the runtime from the default 3 hrs to something like 8 hrs or more per task will minimize the bandwidth used.

FYI I have 6 GPU and 3 CPU clients running F@H, and also run Rosetta@Home, Poem@Home, Seti@Home and WCG and rarely exceed 180 mb a day.

If you feel R@H will use too much bandwidth consider running Poem@Home as it uses very little...

Old November 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

Just noticed LCB001 is in QC. I wonder how much PPD QC is producing for HWC, we should do a count, LOL

Sorry off the topic

Old November 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply's guys and sorry I couldn't get back to this thread earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Are you wanting to run Folding@Home (F@H) or Rosetta@Home (R@H) as they are two different distributed computing programs.

Folding usually refers to F@H and dosn't use much bandwidth.

Running Rosetta and other Boinc projects is commonly referred to as Crunching to differentiate it from F@H.

In R@H you have the option to choose how long each task is crunched for, changing the runtime from the default 3 hrs to something like 8 hrs or more per task will minimize the bandwidth used.

FYI I have 6 GPU and 3 CPU clients running F@H, and also run Rosetta@Home, Poem@Home, Seti@Home and WCG and rarely exceed 180 mb a day.

If you feel R@H will use too much bandwidth consider running Poem@Home as it uses very little...

From what I see, I doubt that folding will affect my internet usage. At least not until I can put out numbers like that.

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
Just noticed LCB001 is in QC. I wonder how much PPD QC is producing for HWC, we should do a count, LOL

Sorry off the topic
He he. I'm sure a set-up like that can calculate the results for us as well