Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 09:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default OCing GPU and Folding

I just wanted to make sure i have remembered this correctly. The only thing that effects how fast/efficient a GPU will fold (nVidia) is the shader clock speed and nothing else?
Old November 3, 2009, 09:13 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I just wanted to make sure i have remembered this correctly. The only thing that effects how fast/efficient a GPU will fold (nVidia) is the shader clock speed and nothing else?
Shader is the number 1 thing to OC. It has by far the greatest effect. The core will net you some gains, but if your heat rises much and shader OC fails due to this, then its not worth it.

Memory clocks mean nothing really.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 3, 2009, 09:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Is ATI tools the only thing to see if a GPU oc is stable and won't potentially wreck the card?
Old November 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Pretty much.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Is ATI tools the only thing to see if a GPU oc is stable and won't potentially wreck the card?
I OC the shaders until I get EUEs. I go up in 50-100mhz increments.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 3, 2009, 09:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm i never thought of that really. Should i leave core and memory clocks alone or decrease them to the lowest they will go?
Old November 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
Banned
F@H

yes,shader first...then when you reach max(at a certain temp of course) you may back it down a mhz or two and start working o nthe core. people here say dropping core speed seems to cool it down and lower the power consumption..

depending on the gpu core(and maybe memory interface and size) every 100mhz on the shaders up will be quite noticeable. if you have an 8800gt and you get your shaders up to like 1700 and more(and core too)...man i was doing 6+k on each 8800gt lol
Old November 3, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To be honest - I've never bothered with underclocking the core or memory.

Take for example one rig I have that has 5 GPU clients running on it. It pulls about 680w from the wall with all my cards OC'd including core, shaders and memory. So I tried turning the core and memory down to stock and just keeping the shader clocks up. My power consumption dropped to about 670w. That's less than a 2% difference - basically no power savings at all. Meanwhile, my PPD after downclocking the core and memory went down from about 32,000 to 28,000 - a 12.5% difference.

I appreciate that maybe all machines are different, but every time I've tried turning down the core and memory, I wind up with similar results - essentially zero power savings coupled with meaningful PPD drops. Thus, I always OC all three clocks on my GPUs.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old November 3, 2009, 09:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've seem to run into something now, i got a windows error saying nvidia had to recover from an error or some crap and now my gpu seems like its stuck at lower speeds and i can't change it with evga precision (only fan speed)
Old November 3, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've seem to run into something now, i got a windows error saying nvidia had to recover from an error or some crap and now my gpu seems like its stuck at lower speeds and i can't change it with evga precision (only fan speed)
what drivers are you running? Dont bother trying to OC shaders with the 191.07's or whatever. My oc that was stable went down with the same 'error' you got after I installed the 191.07's. Terrible terrible drivers.

I hate them. Revert back, and try your overclock again.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about