Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Less Total PPD with GPU+SMP?

Up until now a few days ago I was running just the nvidia gpu client (on a stock 260 216sp) making about 7000PPD, as a test run a few days ago I followed this guide and installed vmplayer, following all the instructions along the way, the cpu in this sytem is an i5 750 running @ 4 ghz, I have set the first instance of vmware for low priority with an affinity for core 0/1 and the second instance for low priority with affinity for core 2/3, and the gpuclient with an affinity for core 3 at normal priority.

Since then i've been putting out roughly 5000PPD total which has me completely confused as to why the total is now less then just the GPU by itself?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old November 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would put the gpu affinity to all cores and also try cpu folding with the new vmware player set to 4 cores. I am getting 13,000 ppd with a Q6600 and 260 core 216 set up that way.
Old November 2, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You *have* to make sure your GPU client is set up right.... tell it to NOT lock to any cores.

To put it clearly, you NEED a checkmark under the setting "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU".

Like Stoanee said, set the affinity of the GPU client to all cores (so it can use anything that is available) and also it's ideal to make it's priority "above" instead of "normal" by either CTRL-ALT-DEL and doing it manually or by an automated way.

Again, like Stoanee said, definatly use the new VMware that will allow you to use 4 cores on one VM. You need to set it's priority to low, and make sure it's low or it'll eat your GPU client's PPD.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:31 PM
Banned
F@H

yup, turn it off. altough with the gpu points one has to wonder if its really worth it investing in anything more than a 35$ cheap used c2d :p
Old November 3, 2009, 12:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure it is. When you think of the cost for the PSU, case, and the HD to run it all on it's ideal.

I think x2 or x4 gpus plus CPU is where the cost effectiveness is really at though as tri sli is too costly with regards to the PSU....
Old November 4, 2009, 01:48 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Took me awhile to get back to this, so I have installed vmplayer 3, and have edited the VM config to see 4 CPU's plus increased the ram to about 4GB, the vmplayer is set to low priority across all 4 cores, the gpu client is set to above normal priority. Was there any other things I had to change for the gpu client?
Old November 4, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um, each VMWare Player/Notfred client should need only around 1GB of RAM. Set your Notfred client's priority to idle, and GPU client to just a notch above idle. Other than that, I think that's about it.
Old November 4, 2009, 09:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yup, turn it off. altough with the gpu points one has to wonder if its really worth it investing in anything more than a 35$ cheap used c2d :p
Dan, I'm surprised at you! I agree if a fella doesn't have a mobo to stick a nice GPU into, stick it into anything cheap with a x16 slot and run it. But if he already has a dual or quad quad core, make the mutha earn its keep. Maybe 10k PPD for one box is nothing to some people, but it sure is for others, and an overclocked Q6600 with a 261/216 SC in it WILL deliver 10k or more PPD. C'mon bro, we're not all rich ya know
Old November 5, 2009, 10:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

so I changed the vm folding client to run smp instance per 4 cpu rather then 2 and got an increase in PPD, this is about what i am getting after letting it sit for a few hours....

Old November 5, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it looks like everything is going properly for you. That's nice PPD....