Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2009, 06:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Some questions about F@H

Hey guys,

I have to do an oral presentation for my 'globalization' class in Cegep and I choose as my subject to talk about programs such as Folding @ Home, Rosetta @ Home, World Community Grid and BOINC.

After showing my preparation plan to my teacher, he said the technical aspect was quite nice, tho there's some little things that could be add such has;

1- Why peoples participate in such projects?

2- How many peoples participate in such projects?

3- When the WUs we've been working on are used by the scientific community, do we get any sort of credit on these researches?

4- Is there such projects that doesnt operate for the greater good of humanity (to destroy humanity)?

5- Where it all begin? What was the first project to see the day? Who had the idea?

No need to answer all these, tho I'd really like if all of you folders could answer the first one!

As for myself, when I heard there were such things existing to fight against cancer, I totally wanted to participate knowing my mother had to fight 2 of those nasty illness. She's fine now tho, no more cancer, but she's stuck with another rare kind of illness for the rest of her life that I don't remember the name tho...permanant pain in bones and muscles, short term memory loss, and some other effects that I'd have to ask her about, makes her feel like a 70+ years old when she's only 46. So I do it for my mother mostly.

What are your reasons?

Last edited by Lamb; October 30, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old October 30, 2009, 06:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. What happened to him? & Starting May 14th , HWC's Tribute to Pete_Scout.
2. Not people, but CPUs: Folding@home - Stats. And Folding@home - Maps.
3. See Folding@home - FAQ-Diseases.
4. Hope not.
5. SoulTribunal may help you with this one. PM him. And Folding@home - FAQ.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Folding was originally done in the 70s with scanned pictures of proteins , put side by side, and a special set of Occular devices designed to 'fold' the protiens into each other when you looked through them.
One of the Chemists here at my work was one of the first in Canada to Fold Protiens this way.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 30, 2009, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am not utterly knowledgeable about all this concept, but I can at least say why I fold. Nobody I know died from Cancer or from a known disease, nobody I know is afflicted by it nor has been.

I just fold because I want to do the right thing for the good of humanity, to help prevent or cure those illness. I also hope that folding will help someone I know who might get such disease in the future.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:21 AM
Banned
F@H

pete scout rings a bell..hmm...
Old October 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
I am not utterly knowledgeable about all this concept, but I can at least say why I fold. Nobody I know died from Cancer or from a known disease, nobody I know is afflicted by it nor has been.

I just fold because I want to do the right thing for the good of humanity, to help prevent or cure those illness. I also hope that folding will help someone I know who might get such disease in the future.
That is at least as good of a reason as any I've heard, or even experienced first hand. I've lost a foot, gallbladder, one kidney, and a spleen, all due to preventable things. Well, things that are preventable and/or treatable now, but weren't many years ago when they first struck me and others like me. That's just one more reason why I fold, to advance that early detection and prevention phase.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I feel better knowing my $2k gaming machine is actually doing something useful and helpful for the rest of humanity.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post

2- How many peoples participate in such projects?

3- When the WUs we've been working on are used by the scientific community, do we get any sort of credit on these researches?

4- Is there such projects that doesnt operate for the greater good of humanity (to destroy humanity)?

5- Where it all begin? What was the first project to see the day? Who had the idea?
1. Help find a cure to cancer and other serious diseases. I also donate, participate in walks, etc. so this is one aspect of my support. I also enjoy using my hardware for something strenuous as I don't play games anymore. There is also a community aspect to it as you join a team, help folks, etc.

2. I don't know. Thousands/Tens of thousands.

3. As far as I can see, the community gets credit.

4. I doubt it.

5. I don't know.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

People fold for a variety of reasons. As for myself, I'm in the "might as well put my spare PC power into use", although the competitive nature of FAH does help a fair bit as well.

From what I've seen, the scientific community releases papers based solely on data drawn from Folding.

Not generally thought of as such, but I suppose botnets used by hackers could be considered a form of distributed computing.

The first mainstream Distributed Computing client I can remember hitting the street would be SETI@Home.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 31, 2009, 03:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks alot guys, all of this will be of great help