Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding@home electricity use

I have a question for the top 24 hour avg folders here....

What kind of bill do you get while folding? I just got a SPECTACULAR electricity bill and I'm wondering where I planted my grow op.

I've had my farm going for a while now but I just recieved a bill that is totally off kilter.

I started my farm at around August 16th. All my bills have been normal.

Now my electricity bill came in from August 13th to October 9th.... and it's $380

I can't afford to pay $190 a month.

Is this typical amounts you top folders are paying?
Old October 29, 2009, 04:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I figure my rig draws around 1500w and im paying .063 per KW.h so about $2.26 a day $67.80 a month.

how much are you paying for power in your area?

My Total Hydro bill for June was $141.85 most of it being me trying to get rid of the heat from the folding farm
Old October 29, 2009, 04:34 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

No idea how much. The Wife handles this. And she doesn't mind since we have not started the furnace yet. Good trade-off.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefox View Post
I figure my rig draws around 1500w and im paying .063 per KW.h so about $2.26 a day $67.80 a month.

how much are you paying for power in your area?

My Total Hydro bill for June was $141.85 most of it being me trying to get rid of the heat from the folding farm

This bill is:

Step 1: 1287 kW.h @ $0.05910 /kW.h $76.06
Step 2: 3223 kW.h @ $0.08270 /kW.h $266.54
Old October 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know yet, but its quite easy to calculate... if only I could figure out how much power my rigs draws if my CPU is oc'ed to 3.57 and my GPU is oc'ed as much as possible.

Not sure how I could check my real power draw and for it to be accurate without actually purchasing a meter.

I calculated that if it used 400w, it would cost me 255 a year, but that doesn't factor in the cost of heating which would be reduced and the fact I would never fold during summer, unless I wanted to have a commercial sauna in my room.
Old October 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

what do you figure your farm is drawing watts wise?

lets say your maxing out a 15amp circuit to your computer room, your drawing 1650w from a 15amp circuit. 110V x 15A = 1650w and your running it it 24 hours a day at that draw. so that's 43.2 KW.h / day, and if we go with the higher of the costs .0827 then your looking at $3.57 a day or $107.17 in a 30 day period.

now if you running the folding farm in a sealed house, in the summer, with air conditioning, double that cost.
your turning that power draw into heat, and its going to cost at least what it did to make the heat to remove it again.

Now in the winter, the $$$ you would have spent heating your house is offset by the bonus heat from your folding farm..

I still have my furnace turned OFF so my folder is still keeping my house nice and warm :)
Old October 29, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know at our old house I was using an average of about 20kw/h a day of power. The wife and I dont have alot of lights etc on. It'll be interesting to see what the new hydro bill is for this house. Ive had the folding rig on since nearly day one. My UPS says its burning about 400 watts. Thats 9.6kw/h a day.

I think my first hydro bill might be a shocker.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't know, utilities are covered in my 1 giant bill for residence.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

btw I know this is somewhat off topic, but I have a UPS with my computer and I am wondering how long it can keep my computer open in case of power failure. I have already tried to unplug it, it did keep my computer on, but after the first beep (at a regular interval), it started beeping very fast, so I assumed it was almost out of power. Since then I have no tried again. Is it potential harmful to basicly test my UPS until its out of battery and the computer auto shuts off ? (I assume it couldn't be good, but I'm going to ask anyway)
Old October 29, 2009, 06:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'll have to get my wife to pull out the hard numbers from the bill but I can tell you that all of the computer related stull is on its own circuit
in this house, which is currently drawing 1577 watts, as measured by a Kill-O-Watt meter and periodically checked against an Agilent 3458A.
Accuracy is never worse than +/- .05%. I'm quite sure that exceeds what out local limit refers to as our "baseline usage limit", which
means we pay more than average, but I don't have much choice in the matter and paying for it isn't a strain either, so i keep on folding.

Tags
electricity , folding , folding@home , power