Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2009, 10:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
bring up the shaders to 1700 plus youll get 6+ k ppd...not sure how that translates into ppd per kwh vs other cards but still

and yes i got screenies to prove it. 6.2k ppd to be more exact.

edit : oh yeah, the fan turning a lil bit more after pc is shut down is priceless..a fully loaded psu doesnt cool off as soon as you turn your pc off ;)
What I'd give if the shaders would go that high on my 260's
Old November 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
What I'd give if the shaders would go that high on my 260's
what are the voltage options? maybe 260's dont go up shaders that much unless its a golden chip or something
Old November 6, 2009, 11:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
what are the voltage options? maybe 260's dont go up shaders that much unless its a golden chip or something
I dunno what the voltage options are for the shaders, but I have a hard time imagining then stretching that far from the stock 1350.
Old November 7, 2009, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I dunno what the voltage options are for the shaders, but I have a hard time imagining then stretching that far from the stock 1350.
I could see that being realistic. Stock on the 275's is like 1430mhz or some junk. I have mine cranked up to 1660, and could probably go higher.

You can fold with shaders clocked higher then you could game with them, so find out with something like Furmark whats the highest you can push your shaders to game and up it about 100mhz, or if you really want to push it, up it till you get an EUE and back it off ~20-30mhz.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 7, 2009, 06:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I could see that being realistic. Stock on the 275's is like 1430mhz or some junk. I have mine cranked up to 1660, and could probably go higher.

You can fold with shaders clocked higher then you could game with them, so find out with something like Furmark whats the highest you can push your shaders to game and up it about 100mhz, or if you really want to push it, up it till you get an EUE and back it off ~20-30mhz.
The boldface method is the one I invariably use. 260/216/SC cards have shaders at 1350 stock and I thought I was lucky to get 1500 out of them. Overall that;s been pretty much all they will take without EUE errors etc. I crank them a little higher now and then for strings of work units I know they can handle a bit higher up but sooner or later wid up bring them all back down to 1500 even again. I guess the superclocked 260's are pretty much maxed out at that point, though I'd love to see 1600 out of them. Do you believe installing RivaTuner would get me there by allowing me up kick the shader voltage up a bit more, and what would you recommend as a safe starting point for that one voltage setting??

Thanks...... Brad
Old November 7, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The boldface method is the one I invariably use. 260/216/SC cards have shaders at 1350 stock and I thought I was lucky to get 1500 out of them. Overall that;s been pretty much all they will take without EUE errors etc. I crank them a little higher now and then for strings of work units I know they can handle a bit higher up but sooner or later wid up bring them all back down to 1500 even again. I guess the superclocked 260's are pretty much maxed out at that point, though I'd love to see 1600 out of them. Do you believe installing RivaTuner would get me there by allowing me up kick the shader voltage up a bit more, and what would you recommend as a safe starting point for that one voltage setting??

Thanks...... Brad
I cant comment on the rivatuner, but your card should work with EVGA's voltage program. I believe it has an auto-voltage setting based upon thermal load. This might be an easier way for you to overvolt the card without fear of damage.

And hell, even if you do, its covered under evga's warranty
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I cant comment on the rivatuner, but your card should work with EVGA's voltage program. I believe it has an auto-voltage setting based upon thermal load. This might be an easier way for you to overvolt the card without fear of damage.

And hell, even if you do, its covered under evga's warranty
I've heard of that little jewell so I guess I'll give it a try. I like EVGA precision as well so as long as they work well together, maybe there's a chance after all. Thanks.
Old November 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
Banned
F@H

what i do is the following: core stock or lower, keep upping shaders going up by whatever paciente i have atm(3-5mhz or so)....when the wu craps i go lower..and lower....watch your temps guys its going to do damage
Old November 7, 2009, 02:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I've been doing all along. GPU voltage and freq = stock. Shader voltage = stock for now. Shaders max out at 1500. 5 or even 10 Mhz more and EUE,s unstable machine, yada yada.......
I'll be loding up the latest RivaTuner tonight unless there is a consensus as to a better util of the type, and going up from there. What I don't know is what is a decent bump in shader voltage to start off with.
I'd also appreciate specific comparison comments from those who have used/tried both RivaTuner and EVGA's voltage adjustment utility, which I understand is still pretty new on the scene. All three of my 260's are EVGA and I'd kinda like to stay with their utilities, unless a consensus among all or most of you says otherwise.

brad
Old November 7, 2009, 02:51 PM
Banned
F@H

well, i keep repeating yself. save the stock bios in a few places, open it up with nbitor, put clock frequencies on 3d all the time and get the highest volatge on there nvidia ever let on for opening later in the said bios...thats it man..i bet yull get another 100-200 mhz on the shaders if cooling is adeguate

Tags
electricity , folding , folding@home , power