Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
Here's the power consumption numbers for the number 7 folder (in ppd) in the world, it looks quite painful.

The cost of Folding!!!! - Xtreme CPU

In US dollars, but I figured it would be useful for the database.

-Steve

Well, when you're running probably in excess of $100k in computers, I'm not going to feel bad for your $500 bill
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 4, 2009, 09:51 AM
Banned
F@H

up here its cheap...i forgot how much we are charged but probably 2-3 times easy or more less than people down south
Old November 4, 2009, 10:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What I'd really like to do is spend the 8K one day and put Panels and a Battery Bank in the house so my Comps could run off of the Suns Free Energy.

All I need now....is the 8K lol.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2009, 11:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Well, when you're running probably in excess of $100k in computers, I'm not going to feel bad for your $500 bill

Not quite, he's got 20 Dell Vostro desktops (Q6600's at stock) with 8800GT's in them, running 2 smp and 1 gpu, plus 4 or so i7's folding the EL WU's ..... so only around $35k.
Old November 4, 2009, 11:22 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
up here its cheap...i forgot how much we are charged but probably 2-3 times easy or more less than people down south
It's not that cheap here in Calgary, I'm on the the fixed plan for $0.07 per kwh so his usage of 6839 kwh would cost me $478.73, not that much cheaper than his $533.23. And my $478.73 is just for the electricity, there's also admin fees and a lot of other crap, so my bill would probably close to his bill.
Old November 4, 2009, 02:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
Not quite, he's got 20 Dell Vostro desktops (Q6600's at stock) with 8800GT's in them, running 2 smp and 1 gpu, plus 4 or so i7's folding the EL WU's ..... so only around $35k.
The farm in question...
Old November 4, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

God. 8800GT's? I just cried a little. The ppd per watt of those things is saddening.

Could you imagine if those Q6600's were all folding 1x4VM's and had like 260 core 216s or worse?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old November 4, 2009, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I was considering using some PC to fold, and still . but last June the meter reader of Hydro-Quebec, decide to have a look in my garage by the windows ( independent meter ) , and see a bench and few PC. Now they move my electrical bill from residential to commercial. Can you believe how much Hydro Quebec is after money..... it's for my own use I do not have a computer business at home . But they said since I do not have bathroom and kitchen in the garage it's not residential.
Wow thats BS for the hydro company to do that, I would fight that as a matter of principle.
Old November 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Condo living FTW, 110 households share in the cost of my folding addiction :)

Have an A-1 day!
Old November 6, 2009, 11:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
God. 8800GT's? I just cried a little. The ppd per watt of those things is saddening.

Could you imagine if those Q6600's were all folding 1x4VM's and had like 260 core 216s or worse?
bring up the shaders to 1700 plus youll get 6+ k ppd...not sure how that translates into ppd per kwh vs other cards but still

and yes i got screenies to prove it. 6.2k ppd to be more exact.

edit : oh yeah, the fan turning a lil bit more after pc is shut down is priceless..a fully loaded psu doesnt cool off as soon as you turn your pc off ;)

Tags
electricity , folding , folding@home , power