Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2009, 12:03 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default HWC Joins The World Community Grid (WCG)

I've been interested in joining the WCG for quite a while since it includes several projects invoved with Cancer research and Protein Folding; World Community Grid - Home
Quote:
Our Mission, Our Work and You
World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.

Our work has developed the technical infrastructure that serves as the grid's foundation for scientific research. Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

World Community Grid is making technology available only to public and not-for-profit organizations to use in humanitarian research that might otherwise not be completed due to the high cost of the computer infrastructure required in the absence of a public grid. As part of our commitment to advancing human welfare, all results will be in the public domain and made public to the global research community.
One nice thing about WCG is You get to choose which of the projects to support, it can be all of them or just one or two.
The Help Cure Cancer project is especially interesting to me because of its Canadian connection, it's primarily run by the Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital UHN.

The current projects running under the WCG umbrella are;

Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2
Influenza Antiviral Drug Search
Help Fight Childhood Cancer
Nutritious Rice for the World
Help Conquer Cancer
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2
World Community Grid - Research - FightAIDS@Home

To join you need to sign up at the WCG site first, then attach to the WCG through your Boinc Manager. If you don't run Boinc yet it can be downloaded from here; BOINC

Hopefully those that don't want to run Folding@Home on their cpu's will consider joining one of our other Distributed Computing Teams including;

Our WCG Team: World Community Grid - Team
Rosetta@Home: HardwareCanucks
Poem@Home: Hardwarecanucks.com
Seti@Home: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=137640
GPUGrid: http://www.gpugrid.net/team_display.php?teamid=697

Old October 25, 2009, 12:06 AM
Banned
F@H

woah. nice. you actually know what you are contributing to? :)
Old October 25, 2009, 02:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is this GPU only, or does it include both GPU & CPU clients? How well does the GPU client run on ATI cards?

My young lad's rig is sitting idle because I couldn't be bothered mucking about with special files and the lot required to run the FAH GPU client on an ATI card.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like BOINC doesn't support ATI at all, and WCG doesn't have GPU work units.
From my BOINC log:
Code:
24/10/2009 9:08:30 AM		No CUDA-capable NVIDIA GPUs found
24/10/2009 9:08:30 AM		No coprocessors
There's a discussion on WCG's forum about switching to GPU, but it looks like nothing has been done as of yet.
I really like BOINC for CPU crunching because you can easily switch # of cores used and CPU usage, so I have my CPUs (when there is no F@H contest) divided between WCG and Rosetta.

Anyway, I just switched from my does-nothing university team to this one on my WCG account
Old October 25, 2009, 08:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is this GPU only, or does it include both GPU & CPU clients? How well does the GPU client run on ATI cards?

My young lad's rig is sitting idle because I couldn't be bothered mucking about with special files and the lot required to run the FAH GPU client on an ATI card.
Unfortunately there is still not that many projects that use the gpu, found this list over at [H]. Milkyway sounds interesting, maybe start another Team...
Quote:
Razor_FX_II [H]ard|DCer of the Month - January 2009, 1.3 Years

Current GPU Projects
GPUGRID - Boinc Nvidia
Collatz - Boinc Nvidia, ATI
MilkyWay - Boinc Nvidia, ATI
Seti - Boinc Nvidia
Einstein - Boinc Nvidia
RC5-72 - non Boinc Nvidia, ATI
From my BOINC log:
Code:
24/10/2009 9:08:30 AM        No CUDA-capable NVIDIA GPUs found
24/10/2009 9:08:30 AM        No coprocessors
There's a discussion on WCG's forum about switching to GPU, but it looks like nothing has been done as of yet.
I really like BOINC for CPU crunching because you can easily switch # of cores used and CPU usage, so I have my CPUs (when there is no F@H contest) divided between WCG and Rosetta.

Anyway, I just switched from my does-nothing university team to this one on my WCG account
Glad to have you on the Team, looks like you've been crunching WCG for awhile any tips...