Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2009, 11:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Especially running dual SMP's the ppd will be effected by which WU the GPU is running. Your rig 1 looks like it's gpu is running a 511 pointer in that screenshot which like the 353's can use more CPU resources. My quads ppd drops ~200+ points when running the 353's, luckily I haven't had the WU's in a long while.

If your looking for win SMP numbers, my quads do ~2200ppd on a 2665 and ~3200+ ppd on the 2653's depending on which WU's the gpu's are running...
That's never really effected mine. Here's the one I posted earlier that shows EVERYTHING running, all at the same time. Note the SMP units. Super easy to tell which ones are which. The smp jobbers are one 2653, the rest are 2665's.

Old October 24, 2009, 11:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

As for p2653, of course there is some spread in PPD. Always will be. But I've never had one show below 2000 or over 2230.
That's all I meant to say and fouled up the pics for LOL
Old October 24, 2009, 11:23 PM
Banned
F@H

RIGHT. SO HOW THE HECK DO I FORCE THE..damn caps :D

how do i force it to ignore bad restarts or whatever? its running in safe mode. cant get it out of that

dot net 2.0 didnt want to install, but i got the 3.5 in there
Old October 24, 2009, 11:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
As for p2653, of course there is some spread in PPD. Always will be. But I've never had one show below 2000 or over 2230.
That's all I meant to say and fouled up the pics for LOL
Quote:
That's never really effected mine. Here's the one I posted earlier that shows EVERYTHING running, all at the same time. Note the SMP units. Super easy to tell which ones are which. The smp jobbers are one 2653, the rest are 2665's.

For sure there is a difference in ppd among WU's within the same project, I've just noticed that 353 and 511 point WU's use a little more cpu than most of the other WU's at least on my rigs, typically the 353's use up to 3-4% while the rest usually hover around 1-2% according to taskmanager. It probably shows up more on my rigs because they are both running dual gpu's.

They seem to impact the 2653's more perhaps because they run faster, Your rigs could be different given different configs and OS's.

It could be within the margin of error but I did notice in the above screenshot that of the two rigs running two 2665 SMP's the one whose ppd's are lower is running a 353 pointer judging by the gpu's ppd, like you say it's super easy to tell...

Old October 25, 2009, 12:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
For sure there is a difference in ppd among WU's within the same project, I've just noticed that 353 and 511 point WU's use a little more cpu than most of the other WU's at least on my rigs, typically the 353's use up to 3-4% while the rest usually hover around 1-2% according to taskmanager. It probably shows up more on my rigs because they are both running dual gpu's.

They seem to impact the 2653's more perhaps because they run faster, Your rigs could be different given different configs and OS's.

It could be within the margin of error but I did notice in the above screenshot that of the two rigs running two 2665 SMP's the one whose ppd's are lower is running a 353 pointer judging by the gpu's ppd, like you say it's super easy to tell...
I'm not entirely sure, really. But, if it is true, as it has seemingly always been said, that the GPU uses the CPU ONLY for IRQ handling, which I personally believe is the case, then the causes for the differences noted are due to other causes. Making the effect on CPU usage negligible as IRQ's are handled on schedules that don't vary except in rare cases. Rarely because of something software does. Please take my word for it though that if there were any truly significant (in my opinion) effects/interactions in PPD because of different WU combiniations running on the same rig, I believe I would have noticed them. At the same time, I must also admit that I rarely have time to just sit and watch the machines doing their thing. My wife may like to take that on. I hope!!

Nailing them down exactly I think (as a MS-EE) would be very difficult. Certainly not something I would undertake. It's more than a little out of my line of work LOL. I admire you younger guys for spotting and wondering about those little things though. I'm just not of much use or help in cases like this where FAR more is involved than just software.

I normally don't place as much importance on small differences as you do. Just my nature unless I am at work, where I work with electrical/electronic parameters with tolerances measured in terms of fractions of one part per million. I think I'm getting alergic to them in old age.
Old October 25, 2009, 12:55 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure, really. But, if it is true, as it has seemingly always been said, that the GPU uses the CPU ONLY for IRQ handling, which I personally believe is the case, then the causes for the differences noted are due to other causes. Making the effect on CPU usage negligible as IRQ's are handled on schedules that don't vary except in rare cases. Rarely because of something software does. Please take my word for it though that if there were any truly significant (in my opinion) effects/interactions in PPD because of different WU combiniations running on the same rig, I believe I would have noticed them. At the same time, I must also admit that I rarely have time to just sit and watch the machines doing their thing. My wife may like to take that on. I hope!!

Nailing them down exactly I think (as a MS-EE) would be very difficult. Certainly not something I would undertake. It's more than a little out of my line of work LOL. I admire you younger guys for spotting and wondering about those little things though. I'm just not of much use or help in cases like this where FAR more is involved than just software.

I normally don't place as much importance on small differences as you do. Just my nature unless I am at work, where I work with electrical/electronic parameters with tolerances measured in terms of fractions of one part per million. I think I'm getting alergic to them in old age.
I'm not that young, my knees remind me of that frequently.

A mild case of OCD is more like it, that and not working much during the winter gives me too much time to notice little stuff like that. It dosn't do much good tho since we can't change it, just Fold what they give us.

Old October 25, 2009, 01:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I'm not that young, my knees remind me of that frequently.

A mild case of OCD is more like it, that and not working much during the winter gives me too much time to notice little stuff like that. It dosn't do much good tho since we can't change it, just Fold what they give us.
So true. Normally I don't post a whole lot, even less since getting married (at 61, don't laugh) but this stuff is interesting. I just spend all freakin day every day sweating such small things that they fly invisibly right under my nose the instant I'm done for the day LOL. One small measure of relief for me. Call it a different type of attention to detail. One I love the rewards are great. I just leaves so little left for other attention to other details, other than my wife.
Old October 25, 2009, 01:29 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
So true. Normally I don't post a whole lot, even less since getting married (at 61, don't laugh) but this stuff is interesting. I just spend all freakin day every day sweating such small things that they fly invisibly right under my nose the instant I'm done for the day LOL. One small measure of relief for me. Call it a different type of attention to detail. One I love the rewards are great. I just leaves so little left for other attention to other details, other than my wife.
That's the important one, you are never too old to find happiness.

I'm just a Folding addict and the long long winters up here give me plenty of time to feed that addiction.

Have a good night...

Old October 25, 2009, 01:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
That's the important one, you are never too old to find happiness.

I'm just a Folding addict and the long long winters up here give me plenty of time to feed that addiction.

Have a good night...
You're so right on that one. We've been soul partners for over 20 years and I was too STUPID to ask the question. She finally did, and that was that. Now most other things in my life have a bit less priority than they once did. And that is the way I want it.

Thanks everyone for the company, conversation, learning, everything. Good night, and good folding!!!!
Old October 25, 2009, 09:23 PM
Banned
F@H

could someone post amd smp results plz? im really curious if safemode is making it low ppd or something else lol
danke!