Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2009, 09:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Core Updates And GPU3 News

Looks like Stanford will be releasing a Core_14 update on monday to go with the experimental Core_11 v1.31 introduced to allow less than 100% GPU usage to reduce heat. The new Core revision also addresses the Shader mismatch bug that caused a drop in ppd when cards with different Shader counts where combined in one rig. Unknown yet is whether this will fix the incombatability problems when trying to combine 200 series cards with previous generation ones.

From this post by ihaque on the Folding Forums; Folding Forum • View topic - tesla supercomputer
Quote:
We've just finished beta testing a version of Core 14 that also has the mismatched GPU fix in it. It should be out on Monday.
From Prof. Vijay Pandes latest blog it looks like the new GPU3 core to be called Core_15 will be coming soon with the promise of increased stability and new core specific programs...

Quote:
Updates on new cores: Protomol and GPU3 core

There has been a lot of work on updating the Protomol core to bring it in line with the other cores in Folding@home. I'm happy to say that a lot of progress has been made and it's looking much better. Joe will continue to test it, but it looks close to be moving to the next levels of QA.
The GPU3 core is also moving along. It will be called core_15 (the natural next number in the GPU series). The main changes there have been to incorporate the updated GPU code from OpenMM. OpenMM was based on our FAH GPU MD code to start, but has had several enhancements and additions. In particular, it should be much more stable than the previous FAH GPU MD cores. However, this stability does come at a mild cost in performance. We will address this at the benchmarking stage, since all core 15 (GPU3) projects will start fresh, not continuing existing projects

Old October 23, 2009, 01:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That would be really nice if we could put whatever cards we wanted in :)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 23, 2009, 04:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Finally... can't wait!
Old October 23, 2009, 04:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Will our current active clients automatically download the appropriate new core or is this something we must do manually??
Old October 23, 2009, 09:49 PM
Rookie
F@H

im pretty sure this is a manual sort of update
Old October 23, 2009, 10:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
Will our current active clients automatically download the appropriate new core or is this something we must do manually??
Depends how they do it. Stanford can push out a forced core update like they did with the 2.10 a2 core, but they also often release new cores without forcing an update, so you'll keep using whatever you have unless you delete it or reinstall the client.