Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
Banned
F@H

nice case. i see people place electronic components on tissue.like above. usually i pay a lot of attention that they are put,if not in antistatic or on antistatic material, on non static sensitive at least :)
Old December 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice case. i see people place electronic components on tissue.like above. usually i pay a lot of attention that they are put,if not in antistatic or on antistatic material, on non static sensitive at least :)
That's generally a lot of paranoia over nothing. I've handled thousands of PC components over the years, and I haven't seen a single one damaged by ESD. As long as you don't do anything stupid like rub the back of a video card on a carpet, there's nothing to be concerned about.
Old December 27, 2009, 03:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
That's generally a lot of paranoia over nothing. I've handled thousands of PC components over the years, and I haven't seen a single one damaged by ESD. As long as you don't do anything stupid like rub the back of a video card on a carpet, there's nothing to be concerned about.
Good point I must agree with. Yes, some semiconductor devices are ESD sensitive, some more so than others, but even with the later, it is hyped to ridiculous out of proportion levels in consumer mass market items.

Now there definitely ARE some devices, SSA class GAASFETs in particular, which ARE truly sensitive to the point insinuated by the stickers we're all familiar with, but anything with one of those in it also carries a frightening price tag.

Also, and probably most important to consumers, is the simple fact that of the types of ESD sensitive devices we are most likely to encounter, common CMOS components including memory chips primarily, once placed into an actual circuit, the sensitivity factor is reduced to a level no higher than any other component on the same circuit board. Sensitivity to voltage spiking is another matter entirely, and would be OT right now.

So does the sticker warrant paying attention to? Yes, but not to the point so many people take it to mean, definitely far from of being scared to death to open the bag, for pete's sake.
Old December 27, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've never blown 'computer parts' by handling them , but I did kill a mouse and USB controller once.......grabbed the mouse without grounding myself , nice big arc to the left mouse button...done deal.

I've also blown components , but as BWM said , once they are on a PCB they are generally less sensitive.

Some of the more sensitive devices I've seen are LED's and semiconductor lasers.Definitely wrist-strap components.

If you have static issues (do you arc to the lightswitch every time you turn it on ?) then it's probably a good idea to use a mat or wrist strap.30$ is nothing for peace of mind.

Old January 13, 2010, 11:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Thought I'd finally post some pics of my rigs in here, they might not be pretty but they sure can Fold...

Q9450 - Asus 9800GTX - Calibre GTS250 OC
Name:  IMG_1450.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  159.4 KB

Q9550 - 2x BFG 9800GTX+ OC
Name:  IMG_1454 Computer2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  146.8 KB

i7 860 - 3x BFG GTS250 OC
Name:  IMG_1434.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  174.3 KB

Old January 14, 2010, 05:00 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Heh...the Folder's Slogan: It ain't pretty, but does the job.

Wicked setups LCB!
Fold for team #54196
Old January 14, 2010, 05:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats amazing. Love the rigs mate.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
Banned
F@H

actually it looks decent, minus some missing 120mm or larger fans :)
must find 4 slot board for cheep :p the less pc's, the more ppd per pc, the better. money wise, electricity wise,etc.
Old January 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Can't wait to see your rigs Dan, so us too can give our opinion of it.

Main rig, which is nothing new:

Hidden, which is what I like best:

As for the dedicated Folding rig, more this week-end since the chip is going under water...
Old January 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Main rig (Desky):

Folding Rig (Foldy):

Foldy has a lonely GTS250 inside, and is awaiting uncle Fermi to keep it company.
Fold for team #54196