Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamashinoch View Post
bah don't worry about it....i'll have to figure out how to run dual instances.
Quite simple, d/l the F@H 5.04 console, and install it in 2 different folders. Then run both .exe seperately. You can then link both folders to Fahmon and keep track of both.

Don't forget to id both instances differently in the setup - id. machine 1 and 2.

Are you still folding with that PS3 too?
Old September 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

2 instances is no harder that 1, you only need to change 1 setting under advanced for machineid=2 on the second client.

use 2 directories say fah1 and fah2.

It is simplest to run them from the desktop using a shortcut to launch them automatically from your startup folder (under programs). You can also configure them to run as a service so they start whenever windows boots (you might need UAC off in vista? to do this ... not sure but this process works in wxp).

To set them up to run from the desktop:

Put the downloaded 5.04 executable in each directory. Run the 5.04 executable in the FAH1 directory adding the -configonly flag after the last quote. Answer yes to WU > 5MB, no to use IE settings, no to use proxy, and yes to change advanced options, do not change anything from the default answer except the amount of ram to show the Assignment server, no more than 1/2 the physical ram in the machine and not less than 64 MB. The terminal window will close.

Do the same thing with the executable in the FAH2 directory except answer yes to accept advanced methods, and be certain to change machine ID to 2.

Create a shortcut to the 504 exe in each directory and edit the target in the shortcut adding this to the end of the target string " -forceasm -verbosity 9" (note the blanks). Then you can copy the shortcuts to your desktop and/or your startup folder so you can launch them manually or automatically.

for running as a service:

follow the same steps except answer yes to run as a service when you run each client exe with -configonly.

And instead of adding the forceasm and verbosity flags to the shortcut you need to edit the registry. In WXP it would be like this ...

Run regedit
edt the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/FAH@C:+Program Files+FAH+FAH1+FAH504-Console.exe/ImagePath to add -verbosity 9 and -forceasm.
Do the same for the registry key for FAH2.

not sure if this is the same in vista.

Running as a service you will probably want fahmon to keep an eye on them since the service consoles will be invisible.
FahMon Homepage

Post away if you have any questions/problems
Old September 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

well good news and bad.

Yes the PS3 still folds. The PC....that's aother story. It seems I screwed up FaH by running it as a service that one time. Now the one client (as far as I got) sits at 0 of 400000 or whatever and does nothin'.

So, now I need to know how to "uninstall" the service.

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old September 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
well good news and bad.

Yes the PS3 still folds. The PC....that's aother story. It seems I screwed up FaH by running it as a service that one time. Now the one client (as far as I got) sits at 0 of 400000 or whatever and does nothin'.

So, now I need to know how to "uninstall" the service.
I assume you installed it by saying yes to "run as a service" when configuring the client? Which client are you referring to ... smp or the single core 5.04 text client? The following should work in either case.

Stop the service using services.msc or the manage services interface. I recall you are running vista? ... so anything i say needs to be translated to the vista equivalent of wxp since i don't how to navigate in vista.

Once the service is stopped launch the client with the -configonly flag using a shortcut with the flag added to the target string or via command line from a cmd window.

When it asks "run as service?" answer NO and you can leave the rest of the options at their current settings by just hitting enter to all the prompts. The client will then terminate.

Now you can run the client from a shortcut.

There is another method that should also work ... in manage services, right click on the fah service and select properties ... set the startup type property to manual or disabled. This doesn't uninstall the service setup, it just disables it from starting automatically. Then you can just run the client manually using a shortcut from the same directory.
Old September 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

ya i did that already. the services thing. All's good now. Got two instances running ones at 1% the other at 2%. Good to be crunchin' again.....well...non-wasteful crunchin'.

Join our Folding@Home team!
Old September 5, 2007, 04:03 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Quote:
ya i did that already. the services thing. All's good now. Got two instances running ones at 1% the other at 2%. Good to be crunchin' again.....well...non-wasteful crunchin'.

Fold on