Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree with that 3.0! IF anyone has the coin for a vrpator or 2tb black for their OS drive....get a OCZ Vertex, Gskill Falcon or Patriot Torqx. Eats any hard drive alive in all categories...except storage space / price per GB :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 21, 2009, 01:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm at least an anxious as anyone out there to get my hands on some SSD's, but not until there are finalized published standards for them. As a MS-EE and member of a large percentage of those groups that create those standards, I feel that day won't arrive for anoother 18 to 24 months. I'll probably not be able to resist THAN long, but gents I do appreciate the value of having appropriate standards in place. Time for a xanax, I'm grinding my damn teeth again in anticipation LOL.
Old October 21, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwm View Post
I'm at least an anxious as anyone out there to get my hands on some SSD's, but not until there are finalized published standards for them. As a MS-EE and member of a large percentage of those groups that create those standards, I feel that day won't arrive for anoother 18 to 24 months. I'll probably not be able to resist THAN long, but gents I do appreciate the value of having appropriate standards in place. Time for a xanax, I'm grinding my damn teeth again in anticipation LOL.
What standards? Since when? I must be oblivious to this 'secret organization' that makes computer standards. Are they the Stonemasons, or the Illuminati? Forget JDEC and the wifi group. Even those standards are long surpassed by the time they 'market' it. Seen wifi N for example, or GDDR5, etc...

Its storage space, and works today with just about every piece of hardware on the market. Sure there were hiccups, mainly due to poor production or bad chipsets. But hell, you get that even with the big boys like intel/amd or nVidia.

But hey, thats just my Opinion.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 21, 2009, 04:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
What standards? Since when? I must be oblivious to this 'secret organization' that makes computer standards. Are they the Stonemasons, or the Illuminati? Forget JDEC and the wifi group. Even those standards are long surpassed by the time they 'market' it. Seen wifi N for example, or GDDR5, etc...

Its storage space, and works today with just about every piece of hardware on the market. Sure there were hiccups, mainly due to poor production or bad chipsets. But hell, you get that even with the big boys like intel/amd or nVidia.

But hey, thats just my Opinion.
Standards have existed throughout recorded history. Whenever/wherever there has been a need for two countries, towns, etc to agree on the value of something in terms of trade, there has to be a standard of comparison, and that's exactly what they are. Same in electronics, right down to resistors, the absolute value of the ohm, volt, ampere, etc etc. Even types of television transmissions, which are not the same the world over, and thus eoropean TVs designed around the PAL standard will not display a usable picture recieving a USA TV picture based on NTST.

There standards that exist in and for nearly all aspects of like in the USA, likely Canada as well, and most regions of the world. What good, as an example, would gold nugget from one area be good for in trade for something paid for with nuggets from another?? The standard is obviously purity and weight of the nuggets. Same with gold, silver, all precious metals. Any and all qualtities of all types are covered by a standard, which defines composition, among other properties, and other characteristics unique to it. There ARE differences between standard groups. Some are government required/sanctioned, other are not, which makes them worthless, little more than "gentlemen's agreements" in a narrow range of items. In the USA, most international and domestic standards are strictly governed by the NIST, a branch of the FTC. To put it simply and mildly, standards exist (in today's terms LOL) largly to prevent/eliminate large scale bickering over why this doesn't work with that, and on and on and on and on. Just imagine a town that mints its own paper money and pocket change. Another town says yours aint worth shit. See what I mean? Standards are what makes international trade a non-nuclear war inviting proposition LOL. Unless the materials are nuclear themselves LOL.