Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 12:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default CPU folding question

Hi,

Ever since I started folding my CPU (overclocked to 3.57ghz). I noticed my computer would randomly restart maybe twice(between 1 and 3 times) per week usually. I must say I am folding with CPU with 2 VMware (2 cores each) and my GPU. Today was the first time it ever did it while I was home and using it. It did it twice while I was gaming.

After the second reboot, I only started 1 of the 2 CPU folding VMware, then I left in a rush and came back to notice my PPD were pretty much the same as when I was folding with the 4 cores. The computer has not restarted, so I will let it run like that and see if it is more stable.

Now to my question. Why is it that folding with 2 cores and a GPU provides roughly the same PPD as 4 cores and a GPU?
The main difference is with the CPU which averages roughly twice the PPD for 1 VMware.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:42 AM
Banned
F@H

i tought i posted..

priime95+loop 3dmark for several hours. if ok, then maybe heat gangs up to a point where it just quits? ill have the same mobo pretty soon to play with. i love gigabytes passive cooling but sometimes those sinks(sb one is puny i know) need more airflow coming from the right direction(s)

if you use an aftermarket cooler(wich you should) the sinks dont get the necessary airflow from the stock hs&f. those things are designed with more than cooling cpu in mind..

lets see if this reply passes....
Old October 18, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The reply passed.

Well, I don't quite get why the heat would take sometimes 3-4 days to build up. I mean, I am folding pretty much 24/7. Whenever I leave, I crank the fans up so that the cooling is optimal and the noise is terrible. When I am there, I usually lower the fans and up until today, it never restarted with less airflow; so when it has more, why would it restart ?

Yes I am using an aftermarket cooler, the Vendetta II.

Edit: Anyway, my main question is how come I get the same amount of PPD when running 1 or 2 VMware running 2 core each ?
Old October 18, 2009, 12:50 AM
Banned
F@H

open up everest and see what goes where. or direct some of those fans towards mobo.

the vendetta 2 for the price,in the store,20$ gives you best bang per buck. i picked up some contact coolers for cheap, using them as passive(well psu fan sucks air inches away) on a few lower end 45nm intels.
Old October 18, 2009, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That doesn't make sense that it would happen.

Folding on all four should definately put out double running on two.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

According to Everest my temps are as follow (Have been folding all night):

Mobo: 49C
Processor: 53
CPU 1 to 4: 55
Aux: 42

As for my folding performance:

It is only when I use 2 VMware that all 4 cores get to 100% use, now with onlt 1 VMware, no core is always at 100%. And another reason why I am getting more PPD is that I am maxing out my GPU. I am not entirely sure what it was before, but I think I was getting 80-90% of what I am getting now out of it (now the GPU is maxed out at 97% use). BTW, the whole difference can't be explained only by the GPU.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:24 AM
Banned
F@H

take a picture of the mobo in your case. it could be just the mobo components,repeating meself here, heating up :) my giga didnt like 50c plus.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here are the pictures, I tried to get most angles. The hard drive is in the lower chamber with the PSU (not seen in the picture) and is isolated from the rest, the temps in the lower chamber is pretty low.
Attached Images

Old October 18, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Dude is the fan on your cooler pulling or pushing?
Old October 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think his Vendetta 2 is pushing the air upwards to the top exhaust...his temperatures look fine to me.

Fire up CoreTemp and find out what the load temps are using OCCT. Also use OCCT to check for system stability.

To get more PPD out of your Phenom II, run the new VMWare player where you can run 4 cores. It's supposed to provide more PPD.