Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My fan is pushing air towards the top of the case and then goes out with my top fan, why ?
Keep in mind the temps I said is overclocked and folding.
Old October 18, 2009, 08:50 PM
Banned
F@H

ok. the video card is sucking air from the south bridge chipset area, good there..but the northbridge and associated components may be in a dead spot or close to on. smoke it up and see how it goes.
Old October 19, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok. the video card is sucking air from the south bridge chipset area, good there..but the northbridge and associated components may be in a dead spot or close to on. smoke it up and see how it goes.
Sorry, but what do u mean by "smoke it up" ?
Also, wondering what would describe the southbridge and northbridge area without taking out my manual.
Old October 19, 2009, 09:32 AM
Banned
F@H

i mean take out the components and introduce some thing to help you see how the air moves. you can use card board boxes for the bigger components.

the heat sinks. they need airflow. lots when under constant stress.
Old October 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a much older picture of the rig, as you can see there is a fan missing right next to the GPU, but other than that its pretty much the same. A Yate loon being the top exhaust fan and another one as the lower chamber intake fan.
Attached Images

Old October 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
Allstar

Might want to check your Event Viewer for any clues and let us know if there are any Event ID's. This might point you in the right direction as to whether it's overheating or an issue in VMWare. Different GPU drivers might be worth a shot, would only take a few minutes. I'd also check memory depending on the BSOD error.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 19, 2009, 09:06 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Here is a much older picture of the rig, as you can see there is a fan missing right next to the GPU, but other than that its pretty much the same. A Yate loon being the top exhaust fan and another one as the lower chamber intake fan.

ok. introduce a fan to blow at an angle here :

Old October 20, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't installed the fan yet, but regarding my problem of PPD with all 4 cores. Today, I using the other half of my cores and it seems the PPD they give is less than what I get with the 1st half (Not sure if that is clear).

Basicly, I folded with core 1 and 2 (don't remember which core it is, but let's say its them) and got a better score(nearly twice as good, although the WU is not worth the same, so it can't be a direct comparison) than when I used core 3 and 4(once more, I am not sure if those are the actual numbers).
Old October 20, 2009, 09:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
I haven't installed the fan yet, but regarding my problem of PPD with all 4 cores. Today, I using the other half of my cores and it seems the PPD they give is less than what I get with the 1st half (Not sure if that is clear).

Basicly, I folded with core 1 and 2 (don't remember which core it is, but let's say its them) and got a better score(nearly twice as good, although the WU is not worth the same, so it can't be a direct comparison) than when I used core 3 and 4(once more, I am not sure if those are the actual numbers).
Your gpu is probably using one of the 3-4 core pair, ATi cards are known to use up to a full core unless you tweak the Enviromental Variables.

You would do better usng the new VM 3.0RC as it allows a VM to use all 4 cores which reduces the cpu and memory needed compared to running two VM's. New VM Player 3.0RC - Allows 4 Cores Per VM